Burns puts off his India visitAugust 17th, 2008 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) US Under Secretary of State for political affairs William Burns, who was scheduled to arrive here Monday ahead of a crucial meeting of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), has postponed his visit at the last minute. “Burns has postponed his visit to India. He is likely to come to India later this month,” an official source told IANS.
“But no dates have been fixed yet,” the source added.
Burns, a former envoy to Russia, is busy dealing with the crisis arising out of Russia’s intervention in Georgia, the source said.
Burns, however, may come to India after the 45-nation NSG’s meeting in Vienna Aug 21-22 to consider an exemption for New Delhi from the existing rules of global civil nuclear commerce.
With some sceptics among nuclear suppliers still unconvinced about the merits of the India-US civil nuclear deal, there is a strong likelihood of a second meeting of the NSG which could happen early September before the US Congress considers an approval for the 123 civil nuclear agreement next month.
Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon has been in constant touch with Burns over diplomatic efforts required to get the backing of the NSG countries for the nuclear deal.
Every country matters in the NSG as the grouping that controls the flow of global nuclear technology and fuel operates by consensus.
- India to pitch for NSG membership at Vienna meet - Feb 29, 2012
- India, US to iron out n-liability irritants - Dec 10, 2011
- India banking on 'Big 4' ahead of NSG meet - Sep 03, 2008
- Ahead of Clinton visit, US says committed to NSG waiver - Jul 14, 2011
- US says committed to n-deal, pushes India on liability law (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- India to push N-deals with South Korea, Mongolia - Jul 22, 2011
- No headway on Indo-Japan nuke pact on eve of Manmohan Singh's visit - Oct 23, 2010
- US firmly supports clean waiver to India: Roemer - Jun 30, 2011
- Rao to visit US, NSG membership on agenda - Jan 28, 2011
- India signs civil nuclear deal with South Korea (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Russia unfazed by NSG guidelines, backs India's membership - Jul 08, 2011
- Clinton visit: US committed to nuclear deal (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- India asks NSG members to abide by 2008 clean waiver - Aug 10, 2011
- India 'reasonably optimistic' on high-tech exports - Nov 04, 2010
- Sarkozy backs India for UNSC, NSG (Evening Lead) - Dec 04, 2010