Bureaucrat suspended for attending Beijing Games reinstatedNovember 13th, 2008 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Nov 13 (IANS) Shyam Singh Yadav was Thursday reinstated as Agra’s municipal commissioner after the Allahabad High Court revoked his suspension by the Uttar Pradesh government. The bureaucrat, also a national shooting coach, had gone to Beijing to help Olympian Abhinav Bindra. Yadav was suspended for going to Beijing to help Bindra during the Olympic Games in August although he had not been given permission to do so. On Wednesday, the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court stayed the suspension order.
Yadav returned here from Lucknow Thursday to a tumultuous welcome. Hundreds of his supporters had gathered at the Agra Cantonment railway station to receive him.
“It was a hero’s welcome for Yadav. This kind of reception is usually reserved for politicians,” said Vishal, a photographer present at the station.
Police said Yadav’s supporters disrupted traffic, shouted slogans and even fired bullets in the air to celebrate his return.
“All sorts of allegations have been levelled against me. My rivals are trying to implicate me and my followers in some false cases. My agenda is simple. I have to make Agra worthy of the Taj Mahal and I will work wholeheartedly with public support to fulfill the promises I have made in the past,” Yadav said.
Yadav was suspended thrice before but returned with the intervention of the high court each time.
- Dhoni, Bindra join elite group as honorary Lt. Colonels - Nov 01, 2011
- Angry farmers take on police at Expressway - Sep 13, 2012
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- Trains back on track as Jats end blockade - Mar 20, 2011
- Justice has been done, says Mayawati (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Agra lawyers to step up stir for high court bench - Jan 06, 2012
- Farmers protest as Yamuna Expressway opens - Aug 09, 2012
- Metro rail? Start in Agra, say residents - Mar 28, 2012
- It has been a roller-coaster ride, says Gagan Narang - Aug 08, 2012
- Lawmakers interrupt Andhra assembly proceedings - Feb 21, 2011
- Beijing is past, I have to start afresh in London: Bindra - Jul 26, 2012
- Justice after nine years, says Mayawati - Jul 06, 2012
- Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Court scraps probe against Mayawati, BSP chief elated (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Confusion over 'suspended' status of Haryana opposition - Mar 09, 2010