Bullet proof glass at Vrindavan temple angers devoteesMarch 21st, 2009 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Vrindavan, March 21 (IANS) A controversy has erupted in the Bankey Bihari temple here after the authorities installed a bullet-proof glass in front of the deity, which devotees say comes in the way of worshipping the deity of Sri Krishna.
The administration said the glass shield has been installed in the wake of threats received by the temple.
“The Vrindavan munsif magistrate got the bullet proof glass installed in view of the threat perception to the security agencies,” temple manager Khajan Singh told reporters.
However, worshippers are unhappy as the glass doesn’t allow them to go near the deity. They also maintain that the glass is not very clear.
Apart from the pilgrims, the priests too are annoyed. They have been agitating and raising slogans against the temple administration and have threatened an agitation if the glass is not removed.
Last year, a controversy broke out at the same temple after some priests dressed up the deity in jeans and a cowboy hat.
- Vrindavan priest found dead - Jun 12, 2011
- Kashi Vishwanath temple to get facelift, priests get pay hike - Jun 19, 2012
- Janmashtami celebrated across India with fervour - Sep 02, 2010
- Taj sparkles as Yamuna flows full - Aug 22, 2011
- Hindu temple in Pakistan reopens after 10 years - Oct 31, 2011
- Thousands throng Mathura for Janmashtami - Aug 10, 2012
- Millions throng Mathura, Vrindavan for special prayers - Apr 26, 2010
- Sabarimala temple averse to suggestion on widening steps, door - Jul 17, 2010
- Janmashtami celebrations in Lucknow - Aug 22, 2011
- Deity draped in cricket T-shirt, devotees angry - Apr 02, 2011
- Joyous mood sweeps Braj bhoomi on Janmashtami - Sep 02, 2010
- AFTER 1 )Krishna land now an urban disaster (Letter from Mathura) - Aug 12, 2012
- Packed with pilgrims, Lord Krishna's land dances to Holi - Mar 01, 2010
- Lakhs worship at Pandharpur Vithoba temple - Jun 30, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012