`Building was swinging like giant pendulum’March 12th, 2011 - 1:19 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, March 12 (IANS) The building was “swinging like a giant pendulum”, said a woman who had gone to collect her children from a school here when the quake struck.
She added: “I could actually see my seven-year-old daughter crouched under a desk with her classmates”.
Naomi Van Holbutt-Kirk, a Briton, said that massive earthquake struck when she and other parents were about to collect their children from school.
“I could actually see my seven-year-old daughter crouched under a desk with her classmates… the building was swinging like a giant pendulum and I was just waiting for the sound of a crash from the adjacent building where my five-year-old son was still in his classroom,” she said.
“It did not collapse and the quake eventually stopped,” she told BBC.
An earthquake measuring 8.9 on the Richter scale hit the country Friday, spawning huge tsunami waves, some 10 metres high, that slammed northeastern Japan. An estimated 1,000 people have died in the disaster.
Naomi Van Holbutt-Kirk went on to say that she was waiting on the street when the next quake came, “which was very frightening and can only be likened to the feeling of riding a wave on the pavement”.
“Frightened mothers were screaming and crying, nobody knew where the safest place to be was and everyone was looking up at the shaking buildings… minutes later we were allowed into the building to collect our children.”
- Japan shaken: survivors look for missing kin, n-meltdown feared (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- New Zealand earthquake survivor trapped in 'foetal position' marries - Feb 25, 2011
- `This was the huge quake we expected for years' - Mar 11, 2011
- Many dead, scores missing following 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Christchurch - Feb 22, 2011
- Argentina struck by 6.2 magnitude earthquake - Oct 06, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Kashmir must ban construction in marshes, high slopes: Quake expert - Dec 15, 2011
- A three minute nightmare that shook Tokyo - Mar 12, 2011
- Speedways towards tsunami-hit Japanese regions blocked - Mar 14, 2011
- Seven killed as magnitude-5.6 quake hits Turkey - Nov 10, 2011
- Quake strikes off Turkey - Jun 11, 2012
- Earthquake cures Robert Valderzak deafness - Aug 31, 2011
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunami to hit US west coast, Alaska - Mar 11, 2011
- 5.8 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Virginia, Washington, D.C. - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: bbc, briton, classmates, collapse, crash, desk, disaster, giant pendulum, massive earthquake, naomi, northeastern japan, parents, pavement, quake, richter scale, tokyo march, tsunami, tsunami waves