Building collapse in northwest Delhi, one killed

April 1st, 2008 - 11:32 pm ICT by admin  

New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) An under-construction three-storey house in northwest Delhi collapsed Tuesday, killing one labourer and injuring three, barely three days after a building collapse in the capital claimed nine lives. The accident occurred in the afternoon when construction work was being illegally carried out on the top of a first-floor residential flat in Sector-16 of Rohini area.

The police said the owner of the house, Mukesh Garg, had hired contractor Babu Kushwa for Rs.70,000 for two months to construct two floors on the top of his house.

“The labourers had already erected the additional floors and around 10 people were completing the remaining job, when the building caved in,” said a police official.

The police said fire fighting tenders and hydraulic machines pulled out nine people from the rubble, while an electrician remained trapped inside till late evening.

The injured, identified as Vinod, Man Singh, Vijay, Maankaur and Kalidas, were admitted to a nearby hospital, where Vinod succumbed to his injuries.

Blaming the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) for the accident, a senior police official said: “We had informed them about the illegal construction last month, but it seems that no action was taken.”

The police said a case was registered and teams had been fanned out to arrest the accused.

On Saturday an under-construction four-floor building collapsed in Brahmpuri area killing nine people and injuring 17. The police were yet to make any arrest.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |