Builders of three monasteries under construction to be bookedJuly 19th, 2008 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 19 (IANS) The builders of three Buddhist monasteries under construction in Bihar’s Bodh Gaya are to be booked for violating the master plan, an official said Saturday. Irked by the open violation of the master plan near Mahabodhi temple, Buddhism’s holiest shrine in Bodh Gaya, Magadh Divisional Commissioner K.P. Ramiyah directed the officials concerned to lodge a report against three Buddhist monasteries and a school on charges of illegal construction.
“Any form of concrete construction is against master plan,” said an official at Bodh Gaya, about 110 km from the state capital here.
In a special drive against illegal constructions at Bodh Gaya last month, authorities issued an order to stop the building of three Buddhist monasteries and a school. But construction continued in violation of the master plan.
While the Thai Bharat Society and Drikung Charitable Trust are building two of these monasteries, a Buddhist monk Hadante Ratnesh, is building the third.
“All these monasteries and the school were being constructed in the prohibited core zone in Bodh Gaya,” said Ramiyah.
He said action against the three Buddhist monasteries and a school would be initiated for illegal construction and violation of the master plan.
The 1,500-year-old temple at Bodh Gaya, where the Buddha attained enlightenment 2,550 years ago, was declared a World Heritage Site in 2002 by Unesco.
- Construction of three Buddhist monasteries stopped - Jul 01, 2008
- Shutdown in Bodh Gaya against anti-encroachment drive - Aug 08, 2011
- Buddhist body loses cool after power cut in Bodh Gaya - Mar 10, 2011
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Dalai Lama prays at Bodh Gaya ahead of Kalachakra puja - Dec 31, 2011
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Buddhist monasteries closed for third day in Bodh Gaya - Mar 12, 2011
- Paswan wants Buddhist control over Bodh Gaya's Mahabodhi temple - Dec 29, 2009
- Nitish Kumar meets Bhutanese PM in Bodh Gaya - Sep 26, 2010
- High security for Dalai Lama's visit to Bodh Gaya - Jan 03, 2010
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Buddhist monks to protest over control of Bodh Gaya temple - Feb 22, 2010
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Buddhist monks want control of Bodh Gaya temple - Nov 27, 2009