Budget good, but important to deliver: Swraj PaulFebruary 29th, 2008 - 10:47 pm ICT by admin
London, Feb 29 (IANS) Lord Swraj Paul, founder chairman of the Caparo Group of Industries, praised Friday’s budget as “very good” but said the need to deliver to the farmer was even more important than the promised loan waiver. “P. Chidambaram is a very experienced finance minister and he has done a very good job,” said Paul, who is a leading Britain-based NRI industrialist.
He particularly praised the budget’s focus on what he called “India’s two most pressing problems - how to reach the ordinary man and attend to education”.
“But at the end of the day, writing off debt is never going to be a solution to the problem of farmers,” he told IANS.
“We still have to find long-term solutions. The government will need to deliver to the people. Enough attention needs to be placed to delivery,” said Paul, who is also a well-known philanthropist in Britain.
- Swraj Paul drops non-domicile status, police drops probe - Mar 09, 2010
- Full marks to Pranab: Swraj Paul - Jul 06, 2009
- Swraj Paul defends claiming 110,000 pounds in parliamentary expenses - Oct 04, 2009
- Manmohan the best man for India: Swraj Paul - May 16, 2009
- If new tax law comes, I won't give money, Swraj Paul tells Labour (Lead) - Jul 19, 2009
- Major blow to Labour as key NRI donors revolt over tax proposal - Jul 19, 2009
- Swraj Paul dragged into British party funding row - Mar 02, 2010
- Swraj Paul stays loyal as donors talk of ditching Labour: report - May 17, 2009
- Thwart farmers' suicides: Bengal governor - Jan 23, 2012
- Farmers jubilant, but Mamata government has long haul ahead - Jun 27, 2011
- Post-budget, NRIs have to spend more in India (Comment) - Mar 06, 2011
- Budget promises reforms, growth-focus, inflation-check (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Probe launched into Swraj Paul's expenses at his request - Oct 13, 2009
- Bengal Congress raps Mamata government over farmer suicides - Jan 22, 2012
- Situation in Europe not as bad as perceived: EU official - Aug 22, 2012