Buddhist temple vandalised in LondonSeptember 27th, 2008 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 27 (IANS) A Sri Lankan Buddhist temple has been vandalised on the outskirts of London, the police said.Vandals broke the front windows of the Saddhatissa International Buddhist Centre in Kingsbury, northwest London, in early hours of Friday, the police said.
The vandals, said to be two men, also damaged two cars parked in front of the temple, which is used by many Sinhala-speaking Sri Lankans based in London.
The Sri Lankan high commission condemned the “act of destruction”.
“The high commission firmly believes those who took part in this act of destruction do not believe in religious pluralism and tolerance which are basic tenants of liberal democracy today,” it said in a statement issued Saturday.
“The Sri Saddhatissa International Buddhist Centre which was established in 1990 has been one of the Buddhist Centres of excellence in the United Kingdom not only propagating Buddhism but also actively engaged in various social, economic and spiritual services to the neighbourhood,” it added.
The police have appealed for witnesses.
- Mahatma Gandhi's statue vandalised in Sri Lanka - Apr 07, 2012
- Now a festival on Buddhist philosophy, aesthetics - Apr 18, 2012
- Maha Bodhi attack: Sri Lanka asks India for security of monks - Jan 25, 2011
- Sushma Swaraj unveils Ashoka painting - Sep 02, 2012
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- China to expand oldest Buddhist temple - Jan 04, 2012
- A camera records India-Sri Lanka partnership - Feb 06, 2012
- Valuable letters handed over to Sarnath museum - Nov 22, 2010
- Sri Lankan author arrested 'for offending ethnic Sinhalese Buddhists' - Mar 29, 2010
- India-Sri Lankan knowledge initiative launched - Jun 09, 2010
- French tourists found guilty in Sri Lanka over Buddha photos - Aug 22, 2012
- Mahatma Gandhi statue vandalised in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Sri Lankan temple paintings in Delhi - Mar 24, 2012
- Chinese temples turning into tourist spots - Nov 19, 2010
- Prime accused in Mayawati statue vandalism held (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012