Buddhadeb wrong, shutdown a fundamental right: CPI-MAugust 28th, 2008 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 28 (IANS) Refuting West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee’s widely publicised comments that he was against ‘bandhs’, the Communist Party of India-Marxist Thursday asserted that it firmly stood for the right to strike by the working class as a fundamental right.”The CPI-M firmly stands for the right to strike by the working class as a fundamental right,” the party politburo said in a statement.
“It has consistently supported the all India general strikes of the trade unions against the neo-liberal policies of the central government and other urgent issues of the working class and toiling people,” it said.
The West Bengal chief minister, known as the poster-boy of ‘modern communists’, had invited severe criticism from his colleagues in the CPI-M and allies for his remark against shutodwns.
Addressing a business gathering in Kolkata Tuesday, Bhattacharjee said: “Personally, I don’t support strikes. Bandhs (shutdowns) do not help the country” and added that he found siege and shutdowns “immoral”.
“Unfortunately, I belong to a political party. They call strikes and I keep mum,” he said.
Bhattacharjee’s remarks left the leaders of the Centre for Trade Union (CITU), the trade union wing of the CPI-M, fuming. They said calling for a bandh was the very “legitimate right” of a political party.
- CITU calls off July 31 transport strike - Jul 29, 2012
- Left, Congress trade unions flay Mamata government - Sep 12, 2011
- Bengal slammed for plans to scrap emloyees' union rights - Feb 02, 2012
- Mamata takes on centre, Left over fuel price hike (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jul 28, 2012
- CITU hails strike as success, calls Mamata liar - Feb 28, 2012
- Mamata scores major points against Left (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 04, 2012
- End violence in West Bengal, says CITU - May 27, 2011
- Shutdown hits commercial life in Himachal (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- CITU warns of more strikes - Sep 07, 2010
- Banks, insurance companies shut in Himachal - Feb 28, 2012
- CPI-M politburo member M.K. Pandhe dead - Aug 20, 2011
- Mamata, Left clash over Assam refugees - Jul 27, 2012
- Buddhadeb in trouble with party over anti-bandh remark - Aug 27, 2008
- Trinamool government pursuing undemocratic policies: CPI-M - Feb 11, 2012
- Will protest fuel price hike, but won't let Left create rift: Mamata - Jul 27, 2012