Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh GayaMay 27th, 2010 - 1:19 pm ICT by IANS
Bodh Gaya (Bihar), May 27 (IANS) Hundreds of Buddhists from across the world Thursday celebrated Buddha Purnima, the day Lord Buddha was born, at Bodh Gaya in Bihar where he attained enlightenment.
Bodh Gaya temple management committee organised a function to celebrate the 2,554th Buddha Jayanti at the Mahabodhi temple in Bodh Gaya, Buddhism’s holiest shrine.
“Special prayers were organised under the Bodhi tree for world peace,” a committee official said.
The celebration began with a procession from the 80-ft tall Buddha statue up to the Bodhi tree behind the temple.
“Hundreds of Buddhists, including members of the International Buddhist Council, took part in the procession,” Bhikkhu Priyapal, a monk, told IANS over phone.
The temple premises and adjoining locality were bedecked with colourful flags and other decorative items.
Buddha Purnima is the most sacred day for Buddhists as they take pilgrimage trips to the places associated with the founder of their faith - Lord Buddha.
Buddha Purnima falls on a full moon day.
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Dalai Lama, Karmapa lead Buddha Purnima celebrations in India (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Bodhi tree is healthy, says scientists - Jul 18, 2012
- ASI wants marble removed from Bodhi tree - Feb 23, 2012
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Dalai Lama inaugurates Buddha Smriti Park in Patna - May 27, 2010
- Dalai Lama inaugurates Patna's Buddha Smriti Park (Lead) - May 27, 2010
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Buddhists upset over death of sacred fish inside Bodhgaya temple pond - Jan 09, 2011
- Annual monsoon festival at Gaya's Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrims - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: bhikkhu, bihar, bodh gaya, bodhi tree, buddha, buddha buddha, buddha jayanti, buddha purnima, buddha statue, buddhism, buddhist council, buddhists, full moon day, lord buddha, mahabodhi temple, management committee, pilgrimage, procession, temple premises, world peace