BSP to contest all 11 Chhattisgarh seats on its ownMarch 5th, 2009 - 2:23 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 5 (IANS) The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) has decided to contest all 11 Lok Sabha seats in Chhattisgarh on its own and will name all its candidates within a week.
The party has already announced four candidates from the Raipur, Bilaspur, Kanker and Janjgir seats. Contestants for the remaining seven seats would be decided soon.
“The state body of the party will be meeting Friday here in the presence of a party observer to discuss the names of ticket claimants. We will surely announce the candidates within a week,” said chief of the Chhattisgarh BSP Dauram Ratnakar.
“In the November assembly polls, the party bagged just two seats out of the 90 but polled 6.11 percent of the votes with a strong showing in at least 18 segments. We are pretty sure to pull off victory in a few seats,” Ratnakar told IANS.
The delimitation exercise has increased the number of unreserved seats in the state from five to six. Seats reserved for Scheduled Caste have been reduced to one from two. The state also has four seats reserved for Scheduled Tribes.
In the 2004 parliamentary polls, the BJP won 10 seats in the state while the Congress bagged one.
Chhattisgarh goes to the polls April 16.
- BSP spices up poll battle in Chhattisgarh - Mar 21, 2009
- BSP appoints a new, younger chief for Chhattisgarh - Mar 29, 2010
- BSP not to contest Chhattisgarh assembly bypoll - Oct 17, 2009
- Vajpayee's niece, Jogi's wife lose in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- BSP to contest all 11 Lok Sabha seats in Chhattisgarh - Feb 08, 2009
- Chhattisgarh BJP unhappy with Lok Sabha candidates' list - Mar 06, 2009
- 178 in fray for Chhattisgarh's 11 Lok Sabha seats - Apr 03, 2009
- Vajpayee's niece files papers for polls from Chhattisgarh - Mar 25, 2009
- BSP faces revolt in poll-bound Chhattisgarh - Oct 15, 2008
- 'BSP to play kingmaker in Chhattisgarh' - Nov 08, 2008
- Old rivals to fight on new Chhattisgarh turf - Mar 23, 2009
- BJP ahead in 10 of Chhattisgarh's 11 seats (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- 'Raman effect': BJP wins 10 of Chhattisgarh's 11 seats (Second Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Campaigning ends for Chhattisgarh's 11 seats - Apr 14, 2009
- Judeo, Renu Jogi file poll papers in Chhattisgarh - Mar 27, 2009