BSP stages protest rallies against petrol price hikeMay 31st, 2011 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 31 (IANS) Ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) activists Tuesday staged protest rallies against petrol price hike in all the 72 districts of Uttar Pradesh.
Chief Minister Mayawati personally monitored the statewide protests from Lucknow, where her senior-most minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui led the demonstration at the Jyotiba Phule Park.
Siddiqui, who holds charge of eight key portfolios, was joined by Urban Development Minister Nakul Dube, former health minister Anant Kumar Misra and Rajya Sabha member Akhilesh Das.
Senior party functionaries, including cabinet ministers, were detailed to supervise the demonstrations in key districts while local MPs and legislators organised the protests in other places.
“Between 2008 and now the petrol price had gone up by 20 rupees,” Siddiqui told the crowds in Lucknow.
He attacked Congress leaders for ignoring the international pricing of crude oil before allowing the oil companies to fleece the public.
“While the centre has been trying to justify the price rise in the name of economics, fact remains that the whole exercise is absolutely arbitrary,” he said.
Blaming the central government for giving the oil companies a free run, Siddiqui said: “the decision to get the oil pricing outside the purview and control of the government was evidently aimed at extending undue benefits to the oil companies.”
BSP has announced that it will take the agitation to other states.
- Mayawati statue vandalised in Lucknow, BSP stages protests (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- BSP to demonstrate against petrol price hike Tuesday - May 31, 2011
- BSP protests renaming of Lucknow's Kanshi Ram park - Aug 07, 2012
- Upgrade Mayawati's security, BSP tells Akhilesh - Jul 30, 2012
- Maya attacks Akhilesh for changing names of eight districts (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Make Mayawati PM to bring down prices, says BSP - Jul 06, 2010
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- UP government races to restore Mayawati statue - Jul 27, 2012
- Mayawati's key confidante under Lokayukta's scanner - Dec 13, 2011
- Mayawati declines to attend UPA II anniversary dinner - May 21, 2010
- BJD calls Odisha shutdown against petrol price hike - May 25, 2012
- khilesh reverts names of eight UP districts - Jul 23, 2012
- UP refuses to slash VAT on petrol - May 30, 2012
- Mayawati's statue vandalised, BSP warns of consequences - Jul 26, 2012
- Mayawati rules out CBI probe against trusted minister - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: agitation, anant kumar, cabinet ministers, central government, chief minister, congress leaders, crude oil, development minister, former health, health minister, jyotiba phule, lucknow, misra, oil companies, price hike, protest rallies, purview, rajya sabha member, rupees, statewide protests