BSP leader surrenders, driver arrested for enguineer’s lynching(Lead)January 6th, 2009 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 6 (IANS) Yogendra Dohre alias Bhatia, a former leader of Uttar Pradesh’s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), who is prime accused in the lynching of a government engineer, Tuesday surrendered before a court after evading arrest for nearly two weeks. Hours later, the Uttar Pradesh police claimed another breakthrough in the murder by nabbing from Kannauj district the driver of BSP legislator Shekhar Tiwari, who is already in police custody.
Soon after his surrender, Dohre was remanded in police custody till Jan 19.
“We have obtained the remand,” Auraiya district police chief Nachiketa Jha told IANS, declining to elaborate further.
According to the police, Dohre appeared before Chief Judicial Magistrate Samarpal Singh around 12.30 p.m.
Dohre, a former BSP district president in Auraiya, was absconding after the Dec 24 murder of Public Works Department (PWD) engineer M.K. Gupta.
Having failed to arrest Dohre, the police Jan 3 announced a cash reward of Rs.2,500 on him.
PWD engineer M.K. Gupta was lynched in Auraiya of central Uttar Pradesh, about 250 km from here, allegedly after he refused to shell out Rs.5 million that legislator Tiwari had demanded as a “contribution” for Chief Minister Mayawati’s birthday bash Jan 15.
State police chief Vikram Singh has maintained that the engineer was killed because he refused to buckle under the legislator’s pressure to award contracts to his henchmen.
There are 10 accused in the case, including Tiwari. Two of them are yet to be arrested.
Tiwari’s driver Devendra was arrested from Kannauj, over 250 km from here. “Devendra is one of the 10 accused in the Gupta murder case. After his arrest from Chichauli village in Kannauj, he was brought to Auraiya district,” Sooreshwar Mishra, Auraiya’s additional superintendent of police, told IANS by phone.
Devendra would be brought before the court Wednesday.
According to the police, Devendra was the driver of one of the vehicles BSP legislator Tiwari and his aides used to abduct Gupta in Auraiya before lynching him.
The state police Saturday filed a charge sheet against the 10 accused.
- Murder accused former BSP functionary surrenders in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 06, 2009
- BSP MLA gets life for engineer's killing (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Expected death sentence for killers: Slain engineer's mother - May 06, 2011
- Life term for BSP legislator in engineer's murder (Second Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Engineer's lynching: accused legislator's remand extended - Jan 03, 2009
- Policeman arrested in murder for Mayawati bash (Lead) - Jul 25, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Mayawati orders BSP legislator's arrest in minor's rape (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Policeman arrested in murder for Mayawati bash - Jul 25, 2009
- More BSP names could tumble out in engineer's killing - Dec 27, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh cop in police remand for engineer's murder - Jul 29, 2009
- Engineer lynched by BSP legislator, supporters - Dec 24, 2008
- BSP leader manipulating engineer's murder case, says witness - Oct 14, 2009
- Accused BSP MLA used to extort money: PWD engineer - Dec 27, 2008
- Suspended policeman blames engineer's murder on 'birthday funds' - Jan 03, 2009