BSP lawmaker arrested in Noida on rape charges(Lead)June 29th, 2008 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Noida/Lucknow, June 29 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh Police Sunday arrested Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator Shribhagwan Verma alias Guddu Pandit after a woman alleged that he had raped, physically and sexually abused her for years. Noida Senior Superintendent of Police R.K. Chaturvedi said the legislator was arrested from his sector-53 residence in Noida, a suburb of the national capital.
The arrest followed an allegation from the woman. a research scholar, who said the legislator had exploited her physically and mentally for the past couple of years.
According to reliable sources in the national capital, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati called Pandit at her Delhi residence to seek his explanation on the charges levelled by the woman against him.
Mayawati then alerted Delhi Police and later a team of Uttar Pradesh Police whisked him to Noida from where he was formally arrested. The allegations were published in a Hindi daily published from Lucknow.
The father of the victim, Dinesh Chand Birla, in his complaint registered at Kasganj police station in Kashi Ram Nagar district has said the legislator had ‘married’ his daughter concealing the fact that he had a wife and two kids.
Later when it became known that he had a family, the legislator insisted on keeping the victim as a mistress. The complaint says the woman was abducted, kept at several places, raped and physically and mentally tortured by Pandit.
A criminal case was also registered against the victim at Ram Ghat police station in Bedai of Bulandsher district, which is also the constituency of the legislator.
The complaint also says that the victim was publicly beaten up and humiliated on several occasions.
Noida police chief Chaturvedi said the Ram Ghat police station in-charge has been suspended.
The police said the legislator has been booked for rape, intimidation and fraud.
- Arrested BSP legislator declared fit, sent to jail - Jul 01, 2008
- Arrested BSP legislator complains of heart ailment - Jun 30, 2008
- Woman gangraped in Noida, one arrested - Apr 08, 2012
- Two held for molesting minors in Bengal - Sep 02, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh's fifth rape case in a day (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- UP ex-minister, aide to undergo DNA test - Jul 11, 2012
- BSP legislator arrested on sexual exploitation charge - Jun 29, 2008
- Rape accused Uttar Pradesh cop arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- Three held for Delhi woman's trafficking - Jun 09, 2012
- 'Create a helpline for rape victims' - Mar 02, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh girl was raped by legislator, his guards - Jan 11, 2011
- Rape attempt: Uttar Pradesh legislator's two brothers held - Jun 25, 2011
- Woman raped in Bengal, minister says law and order best - Aug 22, 2012
- Jailed BSP legislator, 5 cops injured in accident - Jul 24, 2008
- Mumbai senior cop suspended for raping colleague - Apr 18, 2012