BSP fears for Mayawati’s safety, slams UPA and UP governmentMay 4th, 2012 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 4 (IANS) Alleging a serious threat to the life of party supremo Mayawati, the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) Friday trained its guns on the Congress-led UPA government and said that if something wrong happened to their leader, the union government would be responsible for it.
Addressing a press conference here, the BSP’s state president and leader of opposition Swamy Prasad Maurya said the state and union governments had ganged up against their leader and were downsizing her security.
Calling the Samajwadi Party (SP) workers ‘terrorists’ who threaten the life of Mayawati, Maurya recalled how Mayawati had a close shave June 2, 1995 when the BSP chief was attacked by SP workers at a state guest house.
“The SP leaders and workers had then led a murderous attack on Behenji, they still can and we fear for her safety,” Maurya said and added that the party was disappointed with the fact that Mayawati’s request to grant her protection by the Special Protection Group (SPG) had been turned down by the central government.
“A letter had been written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, calling for SPG protection for Mayawati but it has sadly being rejected,” he said.
In such circumstances, any harm to Mayawati would make the union and state governments accountable for it, Maurya said adding that lawlessness had begun in the state and within a short time, people had seen the real face of the Samajwadi Party.
- BSP slams Akhilesh's first month in office - Apr 20, 2012
- Mayawati calls meet to take stock of rout - Mar 11, 2012
- BSP runs for cover as skeletons tumble out (News Analysis) - May 17, 2012
- Upgrade Mayawati's security, BSP tells Akhilesh - Jul 30, 2012
- Mayawati fast-tracks preparations for Lok Sabha polls - Apr 03, 2012
- After Mamata blow, UPA turns to 'Netaji' and 'Behenji' - Sep 19, 2012
- Mayawati to confine birthday bash to party office - Jan 14, 2012
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- What a blow! Mayawati gets a boost, Akhilesh defensive (UP Newsletter) - Jul 27, 2012
- Mayawati statue vandalised in Lucknow, BSP stages protests (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- 250 murders a day in Akhilesh-ruled UP, claims BSP - Apr 27, 2012
- Trinamool pullout increases Congress dependence on SP, BSP (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Trinamool pullout increases Congress dependence on SP, BSP - Sep 19, 2012
- BSP-SP 'war' set to get shriller in times to come - May 21, 2012
- Maya's olive branch to Congress on Uttarakhand - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, central government, guest house, leader of opposition, lucknow, manmohan, manmohan singh, maurya, murderous attack, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, Samajwadi Party, short time, special protection group, spg, state governments, state president, union government, UPA