BSNL launches 3G services, to charge 50 paise per callFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 22 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi Sunday inaugurated the third generation (3G) services of the state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL), and said the subscribers of the telecom major would be able to make long distance calls for 50 paise per minute from next month under the proposed ‘India-Golden 50′ scheme.
Karunanidhi, who is recovering after a spinal cord surgery at Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Hospital here, inaugurated the 3G services through video conference and said: “The scheme is similar to the ‘One India Plan’ launched earlier that enabled people to make a call across the country for Re.1.”
He also made a video call to the union IT and Communication minister A. Raja from a mobile phone from his bed.
The 3G services enable subscribers experience video telephony, internet, video on demand, mobile TV and others facilities.
Raja told reporters here that the commercial launch of 3G services in the state will be in April.
BSNL chairman Kuldeep Goyal said subscribers can make calls at 50 paise by paying Rs.375 per month (inclusive of rent and taxes).
The 3G services are available under three plans - Rs.350, Rs.650 and Rs.1,350.
Goyal hoped that at least 5 percent of BSNL’s five million subscribers would opt for the new service.
According to him, the company will cover all important Indian cities during the first phase of the 3G service launch, which involves an outlay of Rs.27 billion (Rs.2,700 crore).
- BSNL launches voice, video telephony services over internet - Jul 18, 2011
- BSNL to expand 3G services to 120 more cities by December - Nov 04, 2010
- BSNL 3G services to be in 760 cities by December (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Nov 04, 2010
- BSNL launches Bharat Berry push e-mail service - Nov 14, 2011
- Aircel targets 2G client base for 3G service - Feb 22, 2011
- BSNL's value-added services launched in Punjab - Apr 10, 2011
- BSNL to invest Rs.29,600 crore in two years - May 18, 2010
- Airtel launches 3G services in Congo - Oct 25, 2011
- Bharat Sanchar eyes 760 cities for 3G services in first phase - Aug 06, 2009
- BSNL launches value-added video services - Apr 11, 2011
- Bharti Airtel is not a price point player in 3G service (Repeating for all needing) - Jan 28, 2011
- BSNL to provide 3G telecom services at affordable prices - May 16, 2010
- BSNL 3G service to cover all northeast urban areas by March - Nov 01, 2009
- Unitech Wireless to offer post-paid connections this year - May 03, 2010
- Tata Docomo rolls out 3G-service in India's tech hub - Nov 03, 2010