BSNL board meet skips disinvestment issueAugust 27th, 2008 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 27 (IANS) The board of the state-run telecom operator Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL), which met here Wednesday, did not discuss the contentious proposal to raise money through disinvestment, as the company is still trying to convince trade unions to agree to an equity offload.”The board could not take up the issue today as the talks with the unions were inconclusive and will continue this week as well,” a senior BSNL official told reporters after the meeting.
The decision to disinvest has brought the management in direct conflict with employees’ unions, which have threatened to strike work.
“We will go on a token strike, but if the government goes ahead with its decision to disinvest, we will go on an indefinite strike,” BSNL employees union general secretary V.A.N. Namboodri had told IANS Monday.
According to him, BSNL does not need to raise money from the primary market.
The union has conveyed its opposition to disinvestment in submissions made to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Telecom Minister A. Raja, Telecom Secretary Siddhartha Behura and the BSNL management.
“We have been assured by the telecom minister that the government will not proceed without the trade union’s consent,” Namboodri said.
- BSNL workers to strike work against disinvestment - Aug 25, 2008
- BSNL staff call off strike on government assurance (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- BSNL workers on indefinite strike from Tuesday - Apr 15, 2010
- Revenues from 3G auction may touch Rs.45,000 crore: Raja - Apr 21, 2010
- BSNL workers on strike against divestment - Apr 20, 2010
- BSNL staff on indefinite strike from today - Apr 20, 2010
- BSNL employees strike hits services in northeast India - Apr 20, 2010
- Private telcos owe BSNL Rs.550.88 crore - May 02, 2012
- BSNL workers demand higher raise, to go on strike - Aug 18, 2009
- Telecom services hit in northeast due to employees' strike - Dec 16, 2011
- BSNL staff to strike work April 20 to protest divestment - Mar 16, 2010
- BSNL staff to go on indefinite strike from April 20 - Mar 23, 2010
- BSNL submits proposal on voluntary retirement to DoT - Nov 30, 2011
- BSNL staff on fast, threaten strike Oct 10 - Sep 27, 2011
- 2G case: Court reserves ruling on Behura's bail plea - Jul 21, 2011