BSF women troopers who killed intruder laudedApril 30th, 2012 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, April 30 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Monday lauded the bravery of two women troopers of the Border Security Force (BSF) who shot dead a Pakistani intruder along the India-Pakistan international border in the Dera Baba Nanak sector of Punjab Sunday.
This was the first time that women troopers of the BSF were involved in direct action on the border belt and killed an intruder, BSF officials in the frontier district of Gurdaspur said.
The two troopers, Reena and Aarti, were Monday felicitated by the BSF.
The women troopers, who noticed movement behind standing crops in the Dera Baba Nanak sector Sunday afternoon, had challenged the intruder but he did not retreat. At this, the troopers fired at him and killed him.
Border range deputy inspector general (DIG) P.S. Bains told media Sunday that nine rounds were fired by the troopers and later the body of the intruder was recovered.
Women troopers were deployed by the BSF along the Indo-Pakistan border for the first time in September 2009. Many of them have been assigned combat duty assisted by their male counterparts.
Lauding the courage shown by the women troopers, Badal said their “rare and heroic feat” had made the country and Punjab proud. He added that this would inspire other women to join the defence and para-military forces.
- BSF kills intruder in Punjab, 17 kg heroin seized - Jan 18, 2012
- Two rockets fired into Punjab from Pakistan - Apr 19, 2010
- Two militants, two cops killed in Punjab border shootout (Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Two rockets fired from Pakistan into Punjab (Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- Two Pakistani intruders gunned down in Punjab - Feb 25, 2011
- Punjab on terror radar? - Apr 29, 2010
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012
- BSF guns down Pakistani intruder in Punjab - May 01, 2011
- BSF shoots intruder trying to enter India - Jan 21, 2011
- Joint operation to search militants ends in Punjab - Apr 28, 2010
- BSF kills three smugglers on Indo-Pak border in Punjab - Mar 29, 2012
- Indian, Pakistani forces exchange fire, infiltration foiled (Second Lead) - May 01, 2010
- Families of slain Punjab policemen get Rs.20 lakh grant - May 01, 2010
- Fogged out at India-Pakistan border, but tea keeps spirits high - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: aarti, badal, border security force, bravery, chief minister, combat duty, deputy inspector general, frontier district, heroic feat, india pakistan, international border, intruder, male counterparts, military forces, pakistan border, pakistan international, reena, s bains, standing crops, sunday afternoon