BSF trooper beaten up by Bangladeshi villagersNovember 18th, 2008 - 1:07 am ICT by IANS
Siliguri, Nov 17 (IANS) A Border Security Force (BSF) trooper was severely beaten up by villagers in Bangladesh after he allegedly strayed into the neighbouring country’s territory and fired at and killed three Bangladeshis.A BSF release said constable R.P. Singh of the 10th battalion, who was deployed at Nayabari under the Chopra police station of North Dinajpur district, was found missing by his colleagues while patrolling Sunday night.
“His colleagues heard some shouts but could not find him. Singh was missing along with his rifle,” BSF deputy commandant (G-Branch) Manoj Kumar Soni said in the release.
On Monday, Bangldesh Rifles (BDR) Rangpur sector Deputy Inspector General Akhtabul Islam disclosed that Singh was in their custody.
He claimed that Singh had fatally shot three Bangladesh nationals, including a woman and a child, besides injuring another person, after entering 200 yards into the foreign country’s territory at Mainaguri, the release said.
Later, Bangladesh villagers beat up Singh, who is now in a critical condition in Rangpur hospital in Bangladesh.
A sector commander level flag meeting was held between the BSF and BDR Monday at Nayabari.
“The meeting lasted five and a half hours. A joint BSF-BDR delegation also went to the spot 100 yards into Bangaldesh territory where Singh allegedly fired at the neighbouring country’s citizens.”
Two BSF doctors have been sent to Rangpur hospital, the release said, adding BDR had agreed to hand over Singh to the BSF.
The BSF would inquire into the incident and action would be taken against the ‘guilty’, the release said.
- India, Bangladesh security forces trade fire in Meghalaya - Mar 14, 2010
- Bangladesh urged to dismantle insurgent groups' camps: BSF chief - Sep 28, 2010
- Lapanag to meet Chidambaram to discuss border firing - Mar 15, 2010
- 'Smuggling, trafficking key issues on India-Bangladesh border' - Sep 16, 2010
- Bangladesh promises action against insurgents: BSF - Mar 11, 2010
- Assam ferry tragedy: 270 still missing, rescue operations on (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Hand over Indian separatists, BSF tells Bangladesh - Nov 08, 2009
- BSF rejects commandant-level meet with Bangladesh border guards - Jun 17, 2010
- Some Bangladeshi border guards attempting land grab: BSF - Mar 15, 2010
- Bangladesh protests alleged killing of youth by BSF - Jan 16, 2011
- Bengal to release 37 Bangladeshi prisoners Tuesday - Mar 07, 2011
- Meghalaya woman killed on India-Bangladesh border - Sep 27, 2010
- Meghalaya farmer still in Bangladesh custody - Aug 01, 2010
- Bangladesh Rifles promises BSF action against insurgents (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Kidnapped Indian farmer in Bangladesh police custody - Jul 29, 2010