BSF seizes 31 kg heroin at Punjab border (Lead)July 3rd, 2010 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
Gurdaspur (Punjab), July 3 (IANS) In a major recovery along the border with Pakistan, the Border Security Force (BSF) Saturday recovered 31 kg of heroin near here in Punjab but two smugglers managed to escape, BSF officials said here.
The heroin stock, said to be worth over Rs.31 crore in the international market, was found by BSF troopers during a search of the area near Channa post in Gurdaspur, 275 km from Chandigarh.
The consignment was hidden close to the bed of Ravi river that flows along the border between India and Pakistan. The BSF launched a search in the area following a tip-off that a drug consignment was being delivered.
“No arrests have been made. The consignment seemed to have been abandoned by people from across the border,” BSF Deputy Inspector General Mohammed Akil told reporters at the BSF’s Khasa base near the border.
Akil said that two people, believed to be smugglers who had come to collect the consignment delivered by their Pakistani counterparts, managed to escape.
The heroin consignment was wrapped in polythene bags and covered with a ‘kurta-pajama’. The polythene bags had markings of Lahore city in Pakistan.
BSF officials said that smugglers from Pakistan delivered the consignment, taking advantage of the rise in the river’s water level and flow along the wild (Sarkanda) bush growth in the area.
The 553-km barbed wire fenced border between both countries is used by smugglers. Most of the heroin and other drugs come from Afghanistan through Pakistan.
Punjab has emerged as a major transit and destination point for the drugs trade and drug addition is prevalent among youth and people in rural areas of the state.
- BSF seizes 31 kg heroin in Punjab - Jul 03, 2010
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- Sharp hike in heroin smuggling across Punjab border - Aug 21, 2012
- BSF seizes 12 kg of heroin on Punjab border - Apr 24, 2012
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- 15 kg heroin found near India-Pakistan border - Oct 04, 2011
- 27 kg heroin seized near India-Pakistan border - Oct 06, 2011
- BSF kills three smugglers on Indo-Pak border in Punjab - Mar 29, 2012
- BSF kills Pakistani, finds heroin - Feb 23, 2012
- BSF recovers heroin, fake currency from Pakistan border - Dec 01, 2011
- BSF recovers 15 kg heroin at Indo-Pak border - Feb 25, 2010
- Narcotic smuggler killed along India-Pakistan border - Mar 09, 2011
- BSF finds 18 kg of heroin near border in Rajasthan - Jan 23, 2012
- A tale of drinks and drugs as Punjab votes - Jan 29, 2012
- Drug smuggler killed on India-Pakistan border (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: akil, barbed wire, border security force, bsf, consignment, counterparts, crore, deputy inspector general, destination point, drug addition, heroin, india and pakistan, khasa, kurta pajama, mohammed, polythene bags, ravi river, rural areas, smugglers, water level