BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab borderFebruary 4th, 2012 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 4 (IANS) In a major haul, the Border Security Force (BSF) Saturday recovered 23 kg of heroin from two different places along the India-Pakistan international border, BSF officials said.
The heroin, valued at nearly Rs.115 crore, was recovered from the international border belt in Amritsar and Ferozepur districts.
BSF officials said 13 kg of heroin was recovered from near the Pallopatti border out-post (BOP) in Ferozepur sector early Saturday as Pakistani smugglers, taking advantage of the foggy weather and the standing crops, tried to push the consignment into the Indian territory.
“The BSF guards noticed some movement near the BOP and fired a mortar to illuminate the area. The movement of three people, including one with a bag containing the heroin, was seen. The smugglers escaped taking advantage of the darkness,” a BSF official said in Ferozepur.
The BSF also recovered one pistol and ammunition from the spot.
In the second incident, alert BSF troopers seized a packet containing 10 kg of heroin from near the Ghoga BOP in Amritsar sector Saturday morning.
In this incident also, the smugglers from Pakistan escaped even though the BSF fired at them.
“BSF jawans (troopers) also recovered a plastic pipe from the spot with which the smugglers were likely to push the consignment across the fencing,” a BSF official in Amritsar said.
The 553-km India Pakistan border in Punjab is fenced with barbed wire inside Indian territory.
In the last few weeks, BSF has recovered nearly 45 kg of heroin along the border belt.
BSF Inspector General (Punjab frontier) Aditya Mishra had recently issued special directions to troopers to ensure border domination, especially in the extreme cold and foggy conditions.
- BSF kills three smugglers on Indo-Pak border in Punjab - Mar 29, 2012
- Sharp hike in heroin smuggling across Punjab border - Aug 21, 2012
- BSF seizes 12 kg of heroin on Punjab border - Apr 24, 2012
- 15 kg heroin found near India-Pakistan border - Oct 04, 2011
- BSF seizes 31 kg heroin at Punjab border (Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- BSF kills intruder in Punjab, 17 kg heroin seized - Jan 18, 2012
- 27 kg heroin seized near India-Pakistan border - Oct 06, 2011
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- BSF recovers heroin, fake currency from Pakistan border - Dec 01, 2011
- BSF seize contraband, fake currency in Punjab - Mar 27, 2011
- Trio throws heroin packets into India, flees: BSF - Feb 24, 2012
- Drugs worth Rs.20 crore smuggled from Pakistan seized - Jan 28, 2011
- BSF finds 18 kg of heroin near border in Rajasthan - Jan 23, 2012
- BSF seizes 31 kg heroin in Punjab - Jul 03, 2010
- BSF seizes 15 kg heroin at India-Pakistan border - Feb 25, 2010
Tags: aditya mishra, amritsar, barbed wire, border security force, bsf official, consignment, crore, ferozepur, foggy conditions, heroin, india pakistan, indian territory, international border, pakistan border, pakistan international, plastic pipe, saturday morning, smugglers, standing crops, two different places