BSF chopper crashes in Raipur, five injured (Second Lead)January 15th, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Jan 15 (IANS) Five occupants of a Border Security Force (BSF) helicopter were injured when it crashed at Raipur airport Sunday while on a test flight, police and airport officials said.
“The helicopter crashed from a height of about 100 feet when it took off for a test flight. Five people — the pilot, co-pilot, one engineer and two technicians — who were on the board sustained injuries,” Mana airport in-charge Anil Roy told reporters.
State police chief Anil M. Navaney, who rushed to the spot along with other officials, said that all the five injured were taken to a private hospital where a doctor said they were out of danger.
The crashed chopper is said to be a Dhruv, developed and manufactured by the Bangalore-based Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.
The BSF uses helicopters in Chhattisgarh for providing logistics support to its personnel and also evacuating its men in case of Maoist attacks in violence-hit Kanker district of Bastar region where BSF troopers have been deployed to take on the guerillas.
Sources said that BSF had launched a probe into the incident in which local police and airport officials were assisting.
The crash blocked the runway and flights to New Delhi and Mumbai by private carriers were delayed for hours. Officials were hard at work to restore normalcy at the airport, from where 32 flights operate daily.
- BSF chopper crashes in Raipur, five injured (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- BSF chopper crashes, five injured - Jan 15, 2012
- Raipur airport cleared of crashed copter - Jan 16, 2012
- Dhruv choppers grounded after crash - Oct 20, 2011
- Maoists' major explosives unit busted in Chhattisgarh - Feb 17, 2012
- Three die in Iran police chopper crash - Dec 24, 2011
- Two die as chopper crashes on Mexican street - Oct 22, 2011
- Pilot dies in chopper crash in Russia - Apr 07, 2012
- 10 killed as Maoists trap police party in ambush (Third Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Two BSF troopers injured by Maoists - Sep 05, 2010
- Chopper crashes in Chandigarh airport, pilots injured (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Maoists injured in Chhattisgarh gunfight - Apr 02, 2012
- Chhattisgarh orders probe into BSF assault on villagers (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- 13 Indians die in Nepal air crash (Third Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
Tags: aeronautics, airport officials, bangalore, border security force, chhattisgarh, chopper, co pilot, dhruv, helicopter, helicopters, mana, maoist, New Delhi, normalcy, occupants, police chief, private carriers, private hospital, state police, test flight