Brown vows to prevent Iran’s nuclear weapons programmeJuly 21st, 2008 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, July 21 (Xinhua) British Prime Minister Gordon Brown Monday said his country will continue its efforts to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. “I promise that just as we have led the work on three mandatory sanctions resolutions of the UN, the UK will continue to lead, with the United States and our European Union partners, in our determination to prevent an Iranian nuclear weapons program,” Brown told the Knesset, the Israeli parliament.
Brown is on a two-day visit to Israel and the Palestinian territories, his first to the region since taking office in June 2007.
In the first address given by a British premier to the Knesset, Brown said Iran now faces “a clear choice to make - suspend its nuclear programme and accept our offer of negotiations or face growing isolation and the collective response not of one nation but of many nations.”
Israel, the United States and some other countries accuse Iran of secretly developing nuclear weapons, but the Islamic republic denies the charge, insisting that its nuclear programme is only for civil purposes.
- US has 'solemn duty' to stop nuclear Iran: Romney - Jul 30, 2012
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Israeli minister demands air, sea blockade on Iran - Mar 06, 2012
- Germany, a pillar to curb Iranian nuke programme: Israel - Sep 10, 2012
- Iran nuclear-programme could start cold war: Hague - Feb 18, 2012
- US imposes sanctions over 50 Iranian entities - Jul 13, 2012
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Iran sentences 13 for spying for Israel: TV - May 14, 2012
- Israel reiterates call for sanctions on Iran - Nov 25, 2011
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Iran to 'powerfully' respond to a US attack - Nov 10, 2011
- Iran has right to develop n-energy, says India - Jan 10, 2012
- Amid sanctions, Indian business delegation heads to Iran - Mar 09, 2012
- Obama orders freeze on Iranian property - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: british prime minister, british prime minister gordon brown, civil purposes, collective response, european union, gordon brown, iran, islamic republic, isolation, israel and the palestinian territories, israeli parliament, jerusalem, knesset, mandatory sanctions, negotiations, nuclear weapons program, parliament, prime minister gordon brown, resolutions, xinhua