‘Brown Bounce’ seals Labour election winNovember 7th, 2008 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 7 (IANS) The Labour Party pulled off a surprise by-election victory Friday as analysts saluted “Brown Bounce” - British premier Gordon Brown’s sudden rise in opinion polls following his handling of the financial crisis.Labour’s Lindsay Roy coasted to the unexpected victory in Glenrothes parliamentary constituency with a majority of 6,737 over the Scottish National Party (SNP) candidate with an increase of three percent of the vote.
Although Labour rules at the centre, the Scottish regional government is led by the SNP, which campaigns for independence for Scotland.
The pro-Labour Guardian newspaper said the victory was “stunning” and the “first indication that Gordon Brown’s heightened international standing and handling of the financial crisis has translated into improved electoral fortunes”.
“The win will be seen as a huge personal boost for Brown,” it added.
The Daiy Mail, which supports the opposition Conservative Party, put down the win to ‘Brown Bounce’, saying the “remarkable victory” was sealed by the prime minister and his wife Sarah, who was pressed into the campaign.
Brown, who was born in neighbouring Kirkcaldy, broke political convention by visiting the by-election campaign twice and his wife visited at least seven times.
- Boost for Brown as Labour wins by-election - Nov 13, 2009
- Brown gets a popularity ratings boost with Labour by-poll win Glasgow North East - Nov 13, 2009
- All change: Obama's instant impact on British politicians - Nov 06, 2008
- Brown wants to secure stable government in Britain - May 07, 2010
- Polls can't be won on a single issue: Khurshid - Oct 18, 2011
- Britain heads for hung parliament (Second Lead) - May 07, 2010
- After Hisar defeat, uphill task for Hooda in by-polls - Nov 07, 2011
- Brown loses `must win and `safe Glasgow East by-poll - Jul 25, 2008
- It is my duty to lead Britain: Brown - May 07, 2010
- Neyattinkara by-poll crucial for Kerala parties (Kerala Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- Neyattinkara to go to polls June 2 - Apr 24, 2012
- UK's Brown to use Lord Mayor's banquet to launch his re-election campaign - Nov 16, 2009
- NCP's revenge against BJP, retains Kej assembly seat - Jun 15, 2012
- Gordon Brown praises India-born MP Virendra Sharma - Nov 13, 2009
- India congratulates Suu Kyi on poll win - Apr 03, 2012