Brother suspects police hand in death of Bihari youthAugust 5th, 2012 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 5 (IANS) Vimal Kishore, brother of 34-year-old Satnam Singh Mann, who was brought dead to the Medical College Hospital Saturday night from the mental hospital here, alleged that he was brutally tortured in a jail.
Kishore told reporters Sunday that when he met Mann - who was in police custody - a few days ago, he was clad in just an underwear and there were no marks on his body.
“Today when I saw his body, there were more than 30 marks, which included marks of him being tortured with a hot rod,” Kishore told reporters here.
Mann was arrested by the police when he created a ruckus at spiritual leader Mata Amritanandamayi’s ashram near Kollam early this week.
He was charged for trying to attack the mata.
A resident of Gaya district in Bihar, Mann was a law student and was of sound mental health.
“On August 3, he was taken to a jail here. When we told the police that he is not keeping good mental health, they did not listen to us. The police said he was physically fit,” added Kishore.
From jail he was shifted to the Mental Hospital in Thiruvananthapuram. ON Saturday night he was taken to the Medical College after his health deteriorated.
The local police have registered a case of unnatural death and the district administration has sought a full report from the superindent of the Mental Hospital and health authorities.
Meanwhile, Kishore has sought the intervention of the state government and the National Human Rights Commission to book the culprits.
The autopsy will be conducted Monday at the Medical College hospital.
- Crime Branch probe ordered into death of Bihari youth - Aug 06, 2012
- Achuthanandan for CBI probe into Bihari youth's death - Sep 19, 2012
- CBI asked to probe Bihar youth's death in Kerala - Aug 07, 2012
- Two arrested for death of man from Bihar in Kerala - Aug 11, 2012
- Bihar youth's death: Friends to seek justice - Aug 09, 2012
- Kerala government faces ire over 'murder' of Bihari youth - Aug 18, 2012
- Bihari youth's death: Kerala doctors threaten strike - Aug 27, 2012
- Delhi doctor's body found hanging in house (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Chhattisgarh Police face another charge of custodial death - Feb 20, 2012
- Chandy denies speaking to jailed leader, assembly rocked - Oct 04, 2011
- Warden booked for sodomising mentally disabled in Haryana - Jul 02, 2012
- 150 Sri Lankans caught on illegal trip to Australia - Jun 04, 2012
- Five mental clinics to come up in Jammu region - Jul 02, 2012
- Man arrested with leopard skins in Delhi - Jun 13, 2012
- Tension rises around PDP campus in Kerala - Aug 14, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,