Broad retains his place, Bresnan recalled in England squadJuly 17th, 2011 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 17 (IANS) Fast bowler Stuart Broad was spared the axe while Tim Bresnan was recalled in the 12-member England squad for the first Test against India starting Thursday at Lord’s.
Broad’s match haul of 6/162, including 5/95 in the first innings in a county match against Somerset helped him to retain his place in the side. Broad had a poor Test series against Sri Lanka, bagging just eight wickets in the series, but has always enjoyed the support of Andrew Strauss and Andy Flower.
Broad now faces a stiff competition from Bresnan for the third seamer’s role in the final eleven. Bresnan played a crucial role Ashes series at Melbourne and Sydney but after a successful winter was sidelined due to a recurrence calf injury.
“This is clearly a highly-anticipated series between two of the world’s top Test-playing nations and I know the England team is certainly looking forward to the challenge of taking on the number one ranked team in Test cricket,” said national selector Geoff Miller.
“Following the successful Test and ODI series against Sri Lanka we’re pleased to be able to include Tim Bresnan in the Test squad after his excellent return from a calf muscle injury,” he said.
Miller said that Bresnan adds the extra bite to English attack.
“Tim adds further bite to our pace attack along with James Anderson, Chris Tremlett and Stuart Broad, who has greatly benefitted from getting overs and wickets under his belt for Nottinghamshire during the week.
“Steven Finn has also benefitted from his time at county level in recent weeks and continues to press hard for Test selection. It’s very pleasing to see the depth of quality around our bowling attack particularly with a challenging four-match Test series on the horizon,” he said.
The squad: Andrew Strauss (captain), Alastair Cook, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Eoin Morgan, Matt Prior (wicketkeeper), Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, Chris Tremlett, James Anderson, Tim Bresnan
- England announce unchanged squad for Oval Test - Aug 14, 2011
- Ravi Bopara replaces injured Trott in third Test - Aug 06, 2011
- Panesar, Tremlett recalled in England's 16-man squad for Ashes - Sep 24, 2010
- Panesar, Davies return to England squad - Dec 09, 2011
- England retain same side for Trent Bridge Test - May 23, 2012
- Tim Bresnan ruled out from Test series against Sri Lanka - May 18, 2011
- Uncapped Bairstow included in England Test squad - May 13, 2012
- Injury-hit England have much to ponder over fitness (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 09, 2011
- We are very optimistic, Anderson is fit to play: Strauss - Aug 17, 2011
- Warne feels third seamer is England's weak spot - Jul 16, 2011
- England opt to bat against West Indies - Mar 17, 2011
- India to bowl against England; Zaheer, Gambhir sit out - Jul 29, 2011
- Dravid rises in rankings, England on course for top spot - Aug 02, 2011
- England to bowl first against India in third Test - Aug 10, 2011
- Morgan in England's Test side, to miss IPL play-offs - May 22, 2011
Tags: alastair cook, andrew strauss, andy flower, calf injury, calf muscle injury, chris tremlett, eight wickets, england squad, england team, eoin, geoff miller, james anderson, kevin pietersen, odi series, pace attack, seamer, stiff competition, test cricket, test selection, test squad