Briton swept away in Meghalaya, rescue efforts onJune 27th, 2011 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, June 27 (IANS) Rescue operations continued for the third consecutive day Monday to trace an English woman, who was swept away by strong currents in Meghalaya’s Umkynsan river, police said.
On Saturday, Christina Reed was swept away when she went swimming along with her fiance Anthony Lewis and their friend Richard.
“We tried our best to rescue her, but we failed as she was swept away by the high current downstream,” Anthony told IANS by phone.
“Christina is trapped somewhere in the river and what we need now is trained divers to help her out,” he added.
Herbert G. Lyngdoh, a police official supervising the rescue operations, said all efforts were being made to rescue the English tourist. “But we have not been able to trace her because of the high current in the river after last night’s heavy rainfall.”
Umkynsan river flows below the village of Laitkynsew and is about 62 km from state capital Shillong. The village is near Sohra, formerly known as Cherrapunjee, the wettest place on earth.
- Body of drowned Briton taken home - Jun 29, 2011
- Poor facilities washing away Cherrapunjee's tourism prospects - Jul 31, 2010
- New voting machine with paper trail tested - Jul 26, 2011
- Explore Shilllong, says filmmaker Chinmoy Sarmah - Apr 22, 2012
- Youth missing in Yamuna, rescue operations on - Sep 11, 2010
- Assam asks Dhaka to help locate ferry victims (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Dravid takes break in Shillong after IPL - May 27, 2011
- Meghalaya mulls water policy for groundwater conservation - Mar 11, 2011
- 18 dead, 30 missing in Madhya Pradesh bus accident - Sep 09, 2010
- New voting machines found perfect: Election Commission - Jul 28, 2011
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 66 (Third Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Human life is precious, explain miners's death: Court to Meghalaya - Aug 02, 2012
- Hope runs out for Meghalaya's trapped 'rat-hole' miners - Jul 13, 2012
- Three saved from drowning in Haryana's Ghaggar rivulet - Jul 18, 2010
- Cherrapunjee to be brand of northeast tourism: Sangma - Dec 09, 2010