Briton becomes country’s first male to give birthFebruary 12th, 2012 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 12 (IANS) A Briton who had a sex change operation after being born a woman has become the country’s first male to give birth following hormone treatment to reactivate his womb. An American and a Spaniard have done so earlier.
The man — in his 30s — had given birth last year but the news was made public only recently, the Daily Mail reported.
The man’s womb had not been removed during the original sex change operation.
Joanna Darrell, of the Beaumont Society transgender support group, said the man had asked about the health implications of keeping his womb.
“He got back in touch about six months ago to thank the society for its help and to say he had had the baby,” Darrell was quoted as saying.
The baby was delivered by caesarean section.
Darrell said he was probably the first British man to have given birth.
“As far as we know there is only him, one man in America and one in Spain who have done this,” she said.
A 38-year-old American, Thomas Beatie became the world’s first pregnant man in 2007 and has given birth to three children — Susan, Austin and Jensen.
Beatie, who lives in Arizona with wife Nancy, was born a woman named Tracy Lagondino.
He took testosterone injections when he was in his 20s, which lowered his voice, gave him facial hair and altered his reproductive organs.
In 2002, he had his breasts removed and legally became a man but kept his vagina, uterus and other female sex organs so that he could have children, the daily said.
He stopped taking testosterone to become pregnant and the couple bought sperm from an anonymous donor.
- "Pregnant Man" Thomas Beatie Gives Birth To Baby Number 3 - Aug 03, 2010
- US 'Pregnant Man' is pregnant again - Feb 15, 2010
- First known transgender man to give birth welcomes third child - Aug 03, 2010
- 'Pregnant man' planning to have 4th child despite filing for bankruptcy - Mar 25, 2011
- Thomas Beatie Conceives Again - Feb 20, 2010
- Pregnant Man Thomas Beatie Delivers Baby No 3 - Aug 03, 2010
- US 'pregnant man' gives birth to second child - Jun 10, 2009
- Pregnant man - Thomas Beatie gives birth to baby number three - Aug 03, 2010
- US 'pregnant man' shows off his new baby bump - Mar 26, 2009
- Pregnant man expecting third child - Feb 11, 2010
- Pregnant Man Delivers Baby No. 3 - Aug 03, 2010
- Baby born with no blood saved by doctors - Jan 27, 2012
- Baby stolen from Colombian woman's womb - Sep 03, 2011
- 'Pregnant Man' Thomas Beatie To Give Birth To Baby No. 3 - Feb 17, 2010
- Womb transplants possible next year: Expert - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: anonymous donor, beatie, beaumont society, british man, briton, caesarean section, daily mail, facial hair, female sex organs, health implications, hormone treatment, london feb, pregnant man, reproductive organs, sex change operation, susan austin, testosterone injections, transgender support group, wife nancy, womb