British woman’s Indian hubby cannot enter country: CourtDecember 17th, 2011 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 17 (IANS) A British woman’s Indian husband of 37 years has been barred by a court from entering the country because he cannot speak English.
A law that requires immigrant spouses to speak English before entering the country was ruled legitimate by the London High Court Friday, the Daily Express reported Saturday.
Three claimants, including British-born 54-year-old Rashida Chapti, tried to get the law overturned.
They argued that the law interfered with their right to married life and was racist and discriminatory.
Chapti’s Indian husband — as well as father to her six children — cannot join her in Leicester because he cannot speak English.
The high court judge dismissed the case, saying the rule was rational and that even if it does affect married couple’s lives, it does not override Britain’s right to protect its interests.
The other claimants were two couples from Pakistan and Yemen.
- Indian couple challenges British immigration law - Jul 27, 2011
- Immigrants 'must know English', says British PM - Feb 03, 2011
- Foreign brides, grooms to face English tests in UK - Nov 27, 2010
- Disabled Bengali woman's marriage to be annulled - Aug 17, 2012
- In Britain, polygamy could be rewarding for immigrants - Jul 31, 2012
- No Victorian era if new immigrant rule imposed back then? - Jun 10, 2010
- Would British history have been same if current rules were applied? (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- Egyptian parliament meets despite court ruling - Jul 11, 2012
- Managements free to fix hours of work, rules Supreme Court - Nov 19, 2010
- Live-in relationship no guarantee to alimony (Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- Assad mystery lover to get PhD from British varsity - Jul 08, 2012
- US healthcare verdict gives Obama huge win - Jun 29, 2012
- Gay marriage not a human right: European ruling - Mar 21, 2012
- Camille Grammer's Husband Poses Problem For Her - Dec 24, 2010
- Homosexuals to get equal inheritance rights in Germany - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: 37 years, british woman, claimants, court judge, court london, daily express, hubby, immigrant spouses, leicester, london high court, married couple, married life, pakistan, rashida, two couples, yemen