British woman first to go round the world thriceApril 13th, 2011 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 13 (IANS) A British woman has become the first female to sail non-stop around the world three times, a media report said Wednesday.
Dee Caffari, 38, finished the Barcelona World Race in sixth place Wednesday, the Daily Mail reported.
The sailor from Hampshire, a former physical education teacher, spent nearly 103 days at sea in the 25,000-mile race along with her Spanish co-skipper Anna Corbella, 34, on board their 60-foot boat.
She completed the trip in 102 days, 19 hours, 17 minutes and 18 seconds, according to the race organisers.
Caffari had already crossed the globe twice solo, and now once along with a partner.
“Sailing around the world just once in a lifetime is an amazing experience. To circumnavigate the planet non-stop for a third time and set another world record is an absolute privilege,” she said.
At the start of the race, 14 boats left Barcelona in December, with Caffari and Corbella the only all-women team taking part.
The race was won April 4 by the French duo of Jean-Pierre Dick and Loick Peryon in 93 days and 22 hours.
- Dee Caffari becomes first woman to sail round the world solo in both directions - Feb 17, 2009
- Navy's 'Mhadei' to sail non-stop from Goa to Cape Town - Nov 24, 2010
- Donde wants his round-the-world trip boat to sail on - Sep 17, 2011
- British sailor aims to become first yachtswoman to sail both ways round world - Nov 08, 2008
- Dutch girl youngest to sail around-the-globe solo - Jan 22, 2012
- Dilip Donde is first Indian to sail solo around the world - May 22, 2010
- Round-the-world teenager's voyage over before it began - Sep 09, 2009
- 81-year-old to sail around the world - Oct 04, 2010
- Urgent:Teen Sailor Abby Sunderland Feared Lost; Emergency Rescue Launched - Jun 11, 2010
- Indian set to reach halfway point of solo sailing adventure - Jan 10, 2010
- Air India to run all-women crew flights on Women's Day - Mar 07, 2011
- 16-year-old Queensland teen sets sail for record attempt - Oct 18, 2009
- Teenage solo sailor rescued in Indian Ocean - Jun 12, 2010
- India celebrates International Women's Day - Mar 08, 2011
- Fourteen Year Old Dutch Sets Sail on Solo World Trip - Aug 04, 2010
Tags: absolute privilege, april 4, boats, british woman, corbella, daily mail, days at sea, dee caffari, foot boat, french duo, globe, jean pierre, lifetime, physical education teacher, race organisers, sailing around the world, skipper, third time, three times, world record