British teenage girls having sex before 16December 16th, 2011 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 16 (IANS) Young girls are today far more likely to have had sex before turning 16 in comparison to their mothers or grandmothers during their time, says new figures of Britain’s National Healthy Service (NHS).
According to the Health Survey for England in 2010, over one in four 16 to 24-year-olds –27 percent — admitted they had had sex below the age of consent, the Daily Mail reported.
This was nearly double the 14 percent of women aged between 35 and 44 who admitted having not waited for sexual experience till they turned 16.
Only four percent of women now aged between 55 and 69 said that they had sex under 16.
The report, published by the NHS Information Centre, also found that one in 10 young people aged 16 to 24 have had 10 or more sexual partners.
The rise in sexual promiscuity among young adults is mirrored in a surge in tests for sexually-transmitted diseases.
About half of young women –44 percent — had been tested for a common sexually transmitted infection (STI) — Chlamydia, compared to 12 percent of women aged 45 to 54.
- Adolescents warned about 'Love Bug' on V-Day - Feb 13, 2011
- STIs reach record levels with young people especially at risk - Aug 25, 2010
- 1,000 British teenagers hospitalised for sexual diseases - Aug 29, 2011
- Use of morning after pill worries pharmacists (Lead) - Jan 02, 2011
- Use of morning after pill concerns pharmacists - Jan 02, 2011
- High rates of STDs among older swingers - Jun 24, 2010
- Man's scent can reveal if he has STD - Dec 11, 2011
- 50pc urban teen girls acquire STIs within 2 years of first sexual activity - Dec 15, 2009
- Homeless kids' use of social networking can up risky sex behaviour - Mar 06, 2011
- Researchers develop painless test for chlamydia - Jul 30, 2009
- 50 plus people are most promiscuous - Dec 07, 2010
- Sex advice on mobiles for teens causes uproar - Dec 10, 2010
- Early initiation into sex drives risky behaviours - myth undone - May 18, 2011
- New test may be more accurate in identifying STI - Mar 09, 2011
- Drinking culture blamed for sex infection chlamydia - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: age of consent, chlamydia, daily mail, diseases, england, girls having sex, grandmothers, health survey, information centre, london, sexual experience, sexual partners, sexual promiscuity, teenage girls having sex, young adults, young girls, young women