British Red Cross worker found dead in PakistanApril 29th, 2012 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 29 (IANS) The decapitated and bullet-riddled body of a 60-year-old Briton working for the International Committee of the Red Cross, has been found in Pakistan’s Quetta city, three months after he was kidnapped.
Khalil Dale, a Muslim convert, was working for the ICRC in Quetta when he was abducted, the Telegraph reported Sunday.
Pakistani officials said the body was found on a road outside the city in a bag addressed to the police chief.
A note said he had been killed because a ransom was not paid.
ICRC Director-General Yves Daccord has condemned the killing.
“All of us at the ICRC and at the British Red Cross share the grief and outrage of Khalil’s family and friends. We are devastated. Khalil was a trusted and very experienced Red Cross staff member who significantly contributed to the humanitarian cause,” he said.
Dale, from Manchester, converted to Islam 30 years ago. He had worked for the Red Cross in Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq.
In Pakistan, he had been working as a health programme manager for almost a year. He was abducted by eight unidentified armed men while returning home from work Jan 5.
- Millions hit by violence against healthcare personnel - Aug 12, 2011
- Red Cross staff kidnapped in Pakistan - Jan 05, 2012
- French aid worker released in Yemen - Jul 15, 2012
- Terror threat forces Red Cross to restrict staff movement in Balochistan - May 15, 2010
- Five bodies found in Afghan province - Aug 02, 2012
- Abducted Odisha cop shot dead by Maoists (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Thousands of Bangladeshis stranded in Libya - Mar 02, 2011
- Two civilians killed, abducted manager untraced in Meghalaya - Jan 18, 2012
- Taliban kills four 'US spies' in Pakistan - Mar 21, 2010
- Maoists release three abducted Bihar policemen - Sep 06, 2010
- Abducted Odisha cop shot dead by Maoists (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Karachi violence toll climbs to 38 - Aug 18, 2011
- Maoists kill BJD worker in Odisha - Jul 08, 2012
- Disquiet among Pakistani Hindus over kidnapped leader - Feb 25, 2011
- German engineer abducted in Somalia - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: abducted, armed men, british red cross, briton, cross staff, cross worker, daccord, director general, humanitarian cause, icrc, international committee of the red cross, muslim convert, outrage, pakistani officials, police chief, quetta city, ransom, returning home, staff member, work jan