British police launches anti-terror drive before OlympicsFebruary 14th, 2012 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 14 (IANS) Ahead of the 2012 London Olympics and Paralympic Games, British police has launched an anti-terrorism campaign by calling on the public to help it find potential terrorists.
The British police, government and armed forces have increased their vigilance for terror attacks since the beginning of 2012, as part of a strategy to protect the London Olympics and Paralympic Games from terrorist attacks, Xinhua reported.
The campaign will be carried out for next four weeks in local newspapers across London, on the radio, and via leaflets distributed to 1.4 million homes.
London’s police force, the Metropolitan Police, is the driving force behind the latest campaign. It is also the coordinating body for Britain’s anti-terrorism strategies as well as the police force responsible for most of the Olympic and Paralympic Games venues.
“The terrorist threat to London, and Britain generally, remains real and serious, so it is vital that everyone continues to be vigilant and aware,” said Metropolitan Police deputy assistant commissioner Stuart Osborne.
“We at the Metropolitan Police Service have a key role in countering this threat, whether it is from Al-Qaeda inspired groups or individuals, or Irish Dissident Republican Groups.”
Osborne, who is also senior national coordinator for counter terrorism, called on ordinary people to report anything suspicious, no matter how trivial it might seem.
He also called on family members to contact police if they believed something suspicious was going on.
The appeal came with just 165 days to go before the London Olympic Games start July 27.
- London plans big security exercise for Olympic Games - Feb 21, 2012
- US may send 500 FBI agents for 2012 London Olympics - Nov 14, 2011
- Seven held in Britain on terror funding charges - May 01, 2012
- Britain police warn against cut in anti-terrorism funding - Jul 02, 2010
- Olympics: London residents may get air defense systems on rooftops - Apr 30, 2012
- Fake Olympic goods seized in Britain - Jun 08, 2012
- NSA pitches hard for NCTC to prevent terror - Apr 03, 2012
- India's anti-terror intelligence hub to come up March 1 - Feb 06, 2012
- British Royal Marines practise Olympic security - Jan 17, 2012
- 12 arrested in major UK anti-terror swoop - Dec 20, 2010
- Terror drill at London Olympics village - May 11, 2011
- Britain bans anti-terrorism advertisement - Aug 11, 2010
- Brit special forces goes undercover to asses Mumbai-style attack during 2012 Olympics - Apr 10, 2011
- Britain unveils annual budget - Mar 21, 2012
- London holds pre-Olympics terror attack drill - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, british police, counter terrorism, deputy assistant commissioner, dissident republican groups, driving force, games start, leaflets, local newspapers, london feb, metropolitan police service, national coordinator, olympic games, paralympic games, police force, terror attacks, terrorism campaign, terrorist threat, vigilance, xinhua