British movie star threatens to take Indian citizenshipNovember 20th, 2008 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 20 (IANS) Top British screen actress Joanna Lumley Thursday said she will renounce her British citizenship and apply for Indian nationality if her country refuses to treat Gurkha veterans at par with other soldiers.Lumley, whose father served in the Gurkha Regiment in India, made the emotional appeal after handing over to the British prime minister’s office a petition with 130,000 signatures in support of the Gurkha campaign for equal treatment.
Government rules deny Gurkhas who served in the British army before 1997 the automatic right to settle down in Britain saying they do not necessarily have strong connections with this country.
But a High Court judge last month overturned the rule, upholding a legal challenge by six ex-Gurkhas in a move that could benefit 2,000 Gurkhas immediately and up to 40,000 others in the long term.
Lumley and other campaigners now want swift government action to implement changes to the policy.
Some 50,000 have been killed and 150,000 wounded fighting for the British, and 13 have won the Victoria Cross - Britain’s highest military honour.
- Gurkhas get axe as Britain reduces troops (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Gurkhas axed as Britain reduces troops - Apr 04, 2011
- Victoria Cross winner Gorkha hero Pun who saved Lumley's father dies at 92 - Apr 22, 2011
- Britain opens Nepal office to help Gurkha migration - Oct 05, 2009
- Gurkha row: Brown, UK Defence Minister apologise to Lumley - Mar 30, 2010
- Lumley says Gurkhas must be allowed into Britain sans visa fees - Feb 07, 2010
- Gurkhas likely to be given right to live in UK - May 20, 2009
- Gurkhas take pension battle to European rights court - Jun 20, 2011
- Finally, Gurkha veterans get British residency rights - May 21, 2009
- Joanna Lumley helps create chutney in support of gurkhas - Aug 05, 2010
- Gurkha campaigner Joanna Lumley wins Oldie of the Year award - Jan 27, 2010
- UK Army planning to disband Gurkhas - Jan 15, 2009
- Brit actress Lumley hailed as 'Nepali cheli' - Jul 28, 2009
- Gurkha fighters launch legal battle to win equal pension rights - Oct 28, 2009
- Ayo Gurkhali! Campaigners celebrate Gurkha victory - Apr 30, 2009