British mothers are now compelled to workApril 17th, 2012 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 17 (IANS) As their families struggle to make ends meet, several British mothers are being forced to return to work, according to Britain’s employment minister Chris Grayling.
The demise of the traditional housewife looking after her young family was one “very obvious” trend from the current labour market, the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.
“I think we are seeing more stay-at-home mums saying, ‘I think I’ll look for a part-time job’,” said Grayling.
Asked if such mothers were returning to work for financial reasons, the minister said: “I suspect so”.
According to figures from Britain’s Office for National Statistics, the number of ‘inactive’ women, meaning who neither have a job nor they want one, has dropped dramatically.
Over the last year, the statistics of those aged between 16 and 64 has fallen by 71,000. But, at the same time, unemployment among women has increased by 82,000, the figures show.
The number of unemployed women in Britain has reached 1.12 million, an unprecedented figure in last 25 years. It means that many mothers who earlier remained stay-at-home mums are now struggling to find decent work due to the embattled job market.
- British working women quitting for childcare - Apr 22, 2012
- Young women prefer career, lifestyle to family life - Sep 15, 2011
- Working mums in Europe spend just an hour a day with their kids - Mar 28, 2011
- Working moms happier than stay-at-home moms - Dec 13, 2011
- Mums working part-time have healthiest kids - Feb 28, 2010
- Stay-at-home mothers find baby care exhausting - Sep 25, 2011
- Job shortage: part-timers on rise in Britain - May 16, 2012
- Liv Tyler says she's ready to go back to work - Jan 30, 2011
- Foreign-born workers get three-quarters of British jobs - Aug 12, 2010
- Half of Britain's young black men unemployed - Mar 11, 2012
- Oz women were better off in the 1950s, claims new report - Feb 10, 2010
- Working mums forcing even sick kids to school - Sep 08, 2011
- Australia's unemployment rate down - Feb 16, 2012
- Babies raised by working mums don't necessarily suffer cognitive setbacks - Jul 31, 2010
- Australia's unemployment rate steady - Aug 09, 2012