British minister marries her lesbian partnerSeptember 29th, 2008 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 29 (IANS) As India still debates decriminalising homosexuality, a British minister has married her lesbian partner in a perfectly legal and socially accepted wedding ceremony.Treasury Minister Angela Eagle, 47, the only openly lesbian member of parliament in Britain, took part in a civil partnership ceremony with British Telecom engineer Maria Exall at a south London register office Saturday.
Dressed in a white tailored jacket and black trousers, Eagle kissed her bride in front of the 50 or so guests.
“It’s been great, everyone was very pleased and they are very much in love,” said Eagle’s twin sister Maria.
The marriage was made possible by legislation that grants new rights in areas such as employment, pensions and inheritance.
Civil partnerships, which have allowed same-sex couples in Britain to cement their relationship in law since 2005, give gay couples rights and responsibilities similar to married heterosexual couples.
Earlier this year, senior opposition MP Alan Duncan became the first parliamentarian to enter into a civil partnership.
Other notable figures who have entered civil partnerships include British pop star Elton John and his long-term partner, Canadian film maker David Furnish.
- Homosexuals to get equal inheritance rights in Germany - Aug 18, 2010
- Austrian government approves same-sex partnership rights - Nov 17, 2009
- Hundreds of gay, lesbian couples say "I do" in New York (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- 'Elton John may help make gay surrogacy more socially acceptable' - Jan 02, 2011
- Gays may 'marry' in traditional way in Britain - Jul 03, 2010
- UK royals urged to back gay marriages - Apr 25, 2011
- From closet to freedom for India's gays, two years on - Jul 01, 2011
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- Brazil approves conjugal visits for gay inmates - Jul 05, 2011
- US shifts legal stance on gay marriage - Feb 24, 2011
- Gay laws: Britain may remove husband, wife terms - Mar 17, 2012
- British gays to be allowed to wed in churches - Nov 04, 2011
- Elton John wants to adopt Ukrainian child - Dec 15, 2009
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Gay marriage not a human right: European ruling - Mar 21, 2012