British minister expresses regret to ChakrabartiJune 21st, 2008 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 21 (IANS) British civil liberties campaigner Shami Chakrabarti has said a letter from Culture Minister Andy Burnham appeared to show “genuine regret” after making comments about her and Conservative party MP David Davis. “I am grateful for Mr Burnham’s letter, which seems to show genuine regret for the distress his remarks caused me and my family.
“These remarks coincided with a relentless campaign of Westminster gossip that could only distract from serious issues and discourage young women from entering public life,” said Chakrabarti, who heads the British group Liberty.
Chakrabarti threatened to sue Burnham Thursday after he claimed in a magazine interview that she shared “late-night, hand-wringing, heart-melting phone calls” with Davis, the former Conservative party spokesman on home affairs who has resigned as MP to launch a public debate on civil liberties.
Burnham wrote to Chakrabarti Friday, saying: “I have been genuinely taken aback at an interpretation placed on my remarks by others that I did not intend,” the Independent newspaper reported.
The paper said Burnham had “stopped short of saying sorry”.
- British Cabinet Minister apologises to Shami Chakrabarti over sex slur - Jun 21, 2008
- Shami Chakrabarti threatens to sue British Cabinet Minister over sexual slur - Jun 20, 2008
- Indian-born civil rights leader takes on British culture secretary over slur - Jun 20, 2008
- 'British police targeted Indian-origin rights campaigner' - Apr 18, 2009
- British voters denied right to vote can claim 750 pounds - May 08, 2010
- British government curtails 'stop-and-search' powers - Jul 09, 2010
- Wikileaks' Assange backed by 3 influential Americans against espionage charges - Dec 14, 2010
- Tipu Sultan's descendant to get a memorial in Britain - Sep 11, 2010
- British MPs support memorial for Tipu's descendant Noor Inayat in UK - Jun 25, 2010
- British MP - Mark Reckless apologizes for being too drunk to vote - Jul 12, 2010
- Virbhadra Singh threatens to sue Kejriwal - Apr 01, 2012
- Britain to introduce legislation to monitor internet use - Apr 02, 2012
- Binayak Sen slams sedition laws - May 30, 2011
- Anglo-Indian heroine of Churchill's spy squad to be honoured - Jan 04, 2011
- UK slams Obama's 'France is America's biggest ally' comments - Jan 12, 2011