British IPL cheerleaders say they were called by N-wordMay 22nd, 2008 - 7:50 pm ICT by admin
London, May 22 (IANS) One of the two black British cheerleaders, who were allegedly prevented from performing at an Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket match last month, says they were called by the “N word”, a tabloid newspaper reported Thursday. A number of British newspapers Thursday carried the story about dancers Ellesha Newton, 22, and Sherinne Anderson, 25, claiming they were stopped from going on stage by organisers ahead of a match involving Kings XI Punjab in Mohali.
Newton told The Sun newspaper: “An organiser pulled us away. He said the people here don’t want to see dark people.
“The ‘n’ word was used and they said they only wanted beautiful white girls. We were crying. I could understand if it were the crowd but they were very receptive.”
Anderson, 25, added: “This kind of thing has never happened to us - not in Europe, not here, nowhere.
“We were offended. This shouldn’t be happening - especially after they made such a fuss over Big Brother.”
British celebrity Jade Goody was accused of making racist remarks about Indian film actress Shilpa Shetty in the reality show Celebrity Big Brother last year, causing outrage in India.
Organisers Wizcraft International Entertainment deny any knowledge of the incident.
A spokesman for Wizcraft said: “Our employees are trained to deal with our international clients. If there had been any racial discrimination, I would have received a complaint. But I know nothing of it.”
The girls had been hired by Fierce Performance Productions which has offices in London and Mumbai.
Director Jorge Aldana said the girls were eventually allowed to take part as cheerleaders after he intervened with local officials.
- Cheerleader claims racist slur, BCCI awaits complaint - May 23, 2008
- Wizcraft to initiate legal action on cheergirls' issue - May 23, 2008
- Punjab police begins probe into IPL racism row - May 31, 2008
- Hindus ask Pamela Anderson to take some Indian ethos back home - Nov 16, 2010
- Jade Goody's mum marks daughter's first death anniversary - Mar 22, 2010
- IPL probe only if cheerleaders complain: Pandove - May 22, 2008
- Pamela Anderson to enter 'Bigg Boss 4' next week? - Nov 13, 2010
- Peter Andre, The Australian Vocalist, Has Been Labeled Top Best Celebrity Dad Of The Year 2010 - Jun 20, 2010
- Peter Andre dad of the year - Jun 18, 2010
- Jade Goody's Mum Jackiey Budden Recalls Her Attempted Suicide - Jan 10, 2011
- Brits rejecting mournful funerals in favour of pop songs - Jan 24, 2011
- Pamela Anderson, The New Wild Card Entry In Bigg Boss House? - Nov 15, 2010
- Yemen beach volleyballers blame sexy bikini-clad cheerleaders for Asian Games defeat! - Nov 18, 2010
- Sid Owen to join Celeb Big Brother? - Aug 12, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan's rep denies that she is going in for 'Big Brother' - Dec 05, 2011