British cops meet slain Indian student’s kinJanuary 2nd, 2012 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, Jan 2 (IANS) British police officers Monday evening visited the grief-stricken family of 23-year-old Indian student Anuj Bidve, who was shot dead in Manchester a day after Christmas, his family said.
Manchester Police Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson and another officer who is currently corresponding with the family, are in Pune to meet Bidve’s family.
They apprised the bereaved family about the status of investigation.
Bidve was shot in the head from close range in the early hours of Dec 26. The gunman is suspected to be a white man in his 20s. Police are treating the killing as a “hate crime” which may have been racially motivated.
“We are still not entirely aware about the status of the investigation and also the day when Anuj’s body will handed over to us,” Anuj’s brother-in-law, Rakesh Sonawane told reporters.
However, Sonawane and Anuj’s parents Subhash and Yogini are likely to fly to Britain in day or two to claim his body.
A 50,000-pound reward has been offered by police to help catch the killer.
Bidve was a postgraduate student in micro-electronics at Lancaster University.
While three people aged 19, 20, and 16 and two 17-year-olds were arrested in connection with the case Sunday, 20-year-old Kiaran Stapleton, from Ordsall (Greater Manchester) was Monday charged with the murder.
- British cops meet slain Indian student's kin (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- British cops meet slain Indian student's kin again - Jan 03, 2012
- Anuj Bidve's killer remanded in custody - Jan 02, 2012
- Anuj's parents plead for justice, to return with body Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- British police to visit family of slain Indian student - Jan 01, 2012
- 'Psycho' guilty of murdering Indian student Bidve - Jul 27, 2012
- Anuj Bidve's killer jailed for life - Jul 27, 2012
- British teen held over Indian student's killing - Dec 27, 2011
- Racism not ruled out in Indian student's killing - Dec 30, 2011
- Facebook flooded with condemnation for Indian's killing - Dec 27, 2011
- One held as Indian's killing sparks outrage on Facebook (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- One held as Indian's killing sparks outrage on Facebook (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Four held over Indian student's killing - Dec 28, 2011
- Pune bids tearful adieu to Anuj Bidve (Lead, changing dateline) - Jan 07, 2012
- Anuj Bidve's body brought back to India - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: bereaved family, british police, chief superintendent, close range, day after christmas, greater manchester, gunman, hate crime, lancaster university, manchester police, micro electronics, ordsall, police chief, postgraduate student, russ jackson, stapleton, stricken family, subhash, white man, yogini