Britain’s population to top EU countries by 2060August 28th, 2008 - 5:36 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 28 (Xinhua) A European Union (EU) report has predicted that Britain’s population is to top all EU countries in over 50 years.The EU’s statistical office Eurostat said in its report that by 2060 the country’s population is to increase from the current 61 million to almost 77 million, BBC report Wednesday.
If the predictions come true, Britain will be the most populous EU country in 2060.
In the mean time, said the report, the average age of the EU population will rise due to “persistently low fertility and an increasing number of survivors to higher ages”.
Those aged 65 or above in Britain are projected to grow from 16.1 percent in 2008 to 24.7 percent of its population in 2060.
And the number of Britons aged 80 or above is expected to reach nine percent in 2060, compared with the current figure of 4.5 percent.
If the projection is correct, 42.1 percent of Britain’s population would be above retirement age by 2060.
Britain has introduced the biggest change to its immigration system for a generation to curb sharp rise in migrants, especially those from outside the EU, to relieve increased pressure on education, employment and public services.
- Britain will be most populated European country by 2060 - Jun 09, 2011
- Japan's population to shrink about 30 percent by 2060 - Jan 30, 2012
- Eurozone's retail sales up - Mar 06, 2012
- Foreigners grab 12,000 jobs monthly in Britain - Nov 17, 2011
- Britain to become most populus EU country by 2050, says UN - Mar 13, 2009
- Britain tops EU asylum seekers' list - Jun 30, 2012
- UK has the second highest standard of living - Dec 14, 2011
- India must look outward to reap demographic dividend (Comment) - Feb 07, 2011
- Britain has over 12,000 centenarians - Sep 30, 2011
- 'China requires better family planning over migration' - Apr 14, 2012
- Britain may limit non-EU immigrants - Jan 21, 2011
- Migrant boom led to 3 mn rise in British population - May 14, 2010
- Thousands of Afghanis, Pakistanis apply for EU asylum - Mar 24, 2012
- White British population might be a minority in 2066: Report - Dec 04, 2010
- Euro area inflation jumps to 2.7 percent in March - Apr 15, 2011