Britain warns Russia not to start a new cold warAugust 28th, 2008 - 2:04 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 28 (DPA) British Foreign Secretary David Miliband warned Russia Wednesday not to start a new Cold War, and suggested the European Union (EU) and NATO should review their relations with Moscow.”Russia is not yet reconciled to the new map of this region,” he said after Russian president Dmitry Medvedev recognised the independence of Georgia’s two breakaway regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.
Medvedev’s “unilateral attempt to redraw the map marks a moment of real significance”, Miliband said in a speech in the Ukraine capital Kiev.
“The Russian president says he is not afraid of a new Cold War. We don’t want one. He has a big responsibility not to start one.”
Miliband said the EU and NATO should respond to such “aggression” with “hard-headed engagement”, and suggested the EU and Nato needed to review relations with Russia.
He also reiterated London’s support for Ukraine’s application for full Nato membership, to which Russia and many Ukrainians are opposed, but he rejected calls for Russia to be expelled from the G8, as Moscow was too deeply integrated in the global economy.
- Ukraine ex-PM gets 7-year jail for abuse of office - Oct 11, 2011
- Russia, NATO to discuss military ties - Jul 22, 2010
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Europe unites to condemn Kremlin - Aug 28, 2008
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- 'Voluptuous' Gaddafi nurse seeks asylum in Norway - May 06, 2011
- US criticizes Medvedev visit to South Ossetia - Jul 15, 2009
- Georgia sends peace proposals for Abkhazia and South Ossetia - Dec 08, 2010
- South Ossetia to take Georgia's currency out of circulation - Dec 21, 2010
- Medvedev to propose blueprint for greater nuclear safety - Apr 26, 2011
- Russia, Ukraine agree on naval base lease extension - Apr 22, 2010