Britain to formally recognize KosovoFebruary 19th, 2008 - 6:42 pm ICT by admin
London, Feb 19 (IANS) Britain has said it will formally recognise Kosovo as a sovereign state following its declaration of independence from Serbia. “I have written to President (Fatmir) Sejdiu to tell him that Britain will now formally recognise Kosovo as an independent sovereign state,” Prime Minister Gordon Brown told journalists at Downing Street Monday.
The British decision followed a meeting of the European Union (EU) foreign ministers in Brussels during which Britain and several other EU members pledged support to Kosovo’s independence.
The prime minister added that the move would “close the chapter” following the break-up of Yugoslavia and help carry Kosovo to “a prosperous future”.
He said that Britain understood Serbian sensitivities about the issue and remained committed to Serbia’s “European future”.
Kosovo issued its declaration of independence Sunday after nine years under NATO control following the expulsion of Serbian troops in 1999.
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- Kosovo President Sejdiu resigns after violating constitution - Sep 28, 2010
- Bill Clinton honoured by grateful Kosovo - Nov 02, 2009
- Serbia tops list of European nations with most refugees-* - Jun 21, 2010
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Europe's most wanted war crimes fugitive Mladic held (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- EU welcomes establishment of new government in Kosovo - Feb 24, 2011
- Ban's Kosovo plan angers both Belgrade and Pristina - Jun 14, 2008
- Kosovo set to split from Serbia - Feb 17, 2008
- Serbia finds 250 Albanians in mass grave - May 10, 2010
- U.S. congratulates Kosovo on independence day, praises development - Feb 17, 2010
- France, Britain ready to hit Libya, says Sarkozy - Mar 11, 2011
- Serbian state TV website hacked - Jul 03, 2010
- Yugoslavia's last PM is dead - Nov 28, 2011