Britain shivers in Artic coldApril 4th, 2012 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 4 (IANS) A mild March has given way to Arctic April in Britain after a freeze descended on the country, the Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
Snow fell from Devon to Scotland turning the recent heatwave to a distant memory. Motorists faced almost blizzard-like conditions over the Blackdown Hills and on parts of Exmoor in Devon.
Up to four inches of snow fell over the Pennies but strong winds caused drifts up to three feet deep in parts causing some roads to be closed.
Last week, Aboyne in Aberdeenshire recorded a balmy 23.6 degrees Celsus - the hottest March temperature in Scottish history.
But Tuesday morning residents woke up to seven inches of snow that had fallen for much of the day and overnight. Other parts of Aberdeenshire experienced up to 10 inches of snow, the newspaper said.
However those planning an Easter getaway, the freeze will soon be over, with temperatures rising later this week.
Northern parts of the country could have heavy rain Friday but should be clear by Saturday, and the South and East will stay dry and bright for most of the weekend, the Mail added.
- Britain braces for a white Christmas - Dec 05, 2011
- Britain braces for cold again - Mar 03, 2012
- Spring has sprung in Britain - Mar 01, 2012
- Chicago Blizzard 2011 Shuts Down The City - Feb 02, 2011
- Deep freeze threatens Britain - Feb 03, 2012
- Britain braces for deep-freeze, snowy weekend - Feb 08, 2012
- Britain set for balmy temperatures - Feb 20, 2012
- Its snowing in Mumbai-Pune! - Jul 15, 2012
- vHeavy rains may pour misery on Will-Kat royal wedding day - Apr 26, 2011
- New Yorkers losing patience with Mayor Bloomberg over snow chaos - Dec 30, 2010
- Freak diversion of jet stream propels freezing conditions - Dec 23, 2010
- Britain in deep freeze - Feb 06, 2012
- Winter storm pounds US East Coast, grinds Washington to halt - Dec 20, 2009
- Snow storm leaves Washington battered, moves north (Lead) - Dec 20, 2009
- Chill freezes Himachal hills - Dec 06, 2011
Tags: aboyne, arctic april, artic, blackdown hills, blizzard, daily mail, devon, distant memory, drifts, four inches, getaway, heatwave, heavy rain, motorists, pennies, scottish history, shivers, strong winds, three feet, tuesday morning