Britain delays troop withdrawal from Iraq

April 2nd, 2008 - 12:09 pm ICT by admin  

RIA Novosti
London, April 2 (RIA Novosti) Britain will postpone a troop withdrawal from Iraq announced late last year due to recent fighting in Basra, the British defence secretary has told the House of Commons. Britain had planned to reduce its number of troops deployed in Iraq from 4,000 to 2,500 starting this spring. However, Des Browne said Tuesday: “At this stage we intend to keep our forces at their current levels of around 4,000 as we work with our coalition partners and with the Iraqis to assess future requirements.”

At the weekend, British soldiers took part in fighting between Iraqi forces and Shia militia in Basra in south Iraq.

British forces seized Basra in 2003. They then pulled out from the city to the airport last autumn, and in December they handed over security to Iraqi forces.

“In the light of the last week’s events … it is prudent that we pause any further reductions while the current situation is unfolding,” Browne said.

The decision, widely criticised in Britain, followed US statements that NATO allies should take a more active part in the Iraqi campaign.

Around 4,000 American soldiers, and up to 90,000 Iraqi civilians (according to Iraq Body Count) have died in Iraq since the invasion of the country by US-led forces in 2003. So far, 176 British soldiers have died in Iraq.
RIA Novosti

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe