Britain braces for a white ChristmasDecember 5th, 2011 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 5 (IANS) Most parts of northern Britain were Monday covered with snow and ice as temperatures plummeted across the country.
After the second-warmest November since records began to be kept in 1910, many woke up to widespread frost Monday.
Forecasters have warned that four inches of snow will fall in the next 48 hours, causing misery for motorists.
A lorry driver died Monday morning after his vehicle skidded off a trunk road in north Lincolnshire after driving conditions turned treacherous, the Daily Mail said.
Police across the north of England and Scotland are warning motorists to take extra care due to sleet and snow.
The Met Office Monday issued severe weather warnings of snow and ice for most of Scotland, Northern Ireland, much of northern England and parts of the Midlands.
Overnight 10 cm of snow fell in Eskdalemuir in Dumfries and Galloway, while Spadeadam had 6 cm of snow.
While the Met Office said it was “too early to tell” whether we can expect a white Christmas, bookies have now slashed the odds, the Mail said.
The Met Office has forecast sub-zero temperatures and strong winds will continue for the rest of the week in northern and western parts, while gales with gusts up to 40 mph (65 kmph) were due to hit the region Tuesday morning.
- Britain braces for deep-freeze, snowy weekend - Feb 08, 2012
- Deep freeze threatens Britain - Feb 03, 2012
- Britain braces for cold again - Mar 03, 2012
- Britain set for balmy temperatures - Feb 20, 2012
- Man survive two months in car in -30C - Feb 20, 2012
- Snow and ice blanket Britain - Feb 05, 2012
- Armed forces called in to battle Britain's snows - Jan 06, 2010
- Spring has sprung in Britain - Mar 01, 2012
- Extreme cold continues in Himachal - Jan 20, 2012
- Snow disrupts travel across Europe, hits economy (Third Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Icy winds sweep Himachal towns - Dec 26, 2011
- Snow closes British airport - Jan 08, 2011
- Himachal's high hills record sub-zero temperatures - Jan 03, 2012
- European economy gets hit by massive snowfall (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- European holiday makers' plans hit by heavy snowfall (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: daily mail, driving conditions, dumfries and galloway, eskdalemuir, extra care, four inches, kmph, lorry driver, met office, north lincolnshire, northern britain, northern england, rest of the week, severe weather warnings, snow and ice, spadeadam, trunk road, tuesday morning, white christmas, zero temperatures