Britain announces $87 bn bailout plan for banksOctober 8th, 2008 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 8 (DPA) The British government Wednesday announced a major rescue package for leading banks of 50 billion pounds ($87 billion) to stabilize the banking system, according to a statement to the London Stock Exchange.Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling, detailing the plan in a written statement to the London stock market Wednesday, has said it was aimed at placing the banking industry on a long term “sound footing.”
A government spokesman said the plan was aimed at securing the “substantial restructuring of banking.”
It is hoped that the scheme, using taxpayers’ money in what amounts to the part-nationalization of leading banks, will restore confidence, revive lending and stimulate the flagging economy.
The move, sealed at a top-level meeting called by Prime Minister Gordon Brown at Downing Street late Tuesday, came after two days of turbulent sessions on the stock exchange, which saw leading bank shares fall sharply.
Pressure had grown on the government to take decisive action to prevent a run on banks.
Government officials warned Wednesday not to judge the impact of the plan by the immediate reaction on the markets, but to appreciate its long-term effect.
Details of the scheme will be laid out to parliament by Darling later Wednesday.
- Brown hails bailout plan for banks (Lead) - Oct 08, 2008
- EC approves Spanish bank recapitalization programme - Jul 26, 2012
- Toronto exchange rejects rival bid, wants merger with London - May 21, 2011
- Textile firms' loans of Rs.35,000 crore to be restructured - Aug 08, 2012
- India raises overseas investment limit in government bonds (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2012
- G7 pledges to keep stimulus going, despite debt woes - Feb 07, 2010
- Federal Bailout Costs Slated to Reduce TARP - Oct 06, 2010
- Toronto, London stock exchanges set merger vote date - May 26, 2011
- British bank posts record loss, ex-head draws 650,000 pound pension - Feb 26, 2009
- Spanish government takes controlling stake in ailing bank - May 10, 2012
- Spanish government approves `bad bank' for toxic assets - Sep 01, 2012
- Kingfisher board to chalk out rescue plan - Nov 14, 2011
- Toronto-London bourse merger iffy after rival offer - May 16, 2011
- TCS bags contract from Deutsche Bank - Sep 19, 2011
- US stocks retreat after short relief rally - Jun 12, 2012