Brisk polling in Uttar Pradesh (Third Lead)February 23rd, 2012 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 23 (IANS) Brisk polling was on Thursday in the fifth round of the seven-phase balloting in Uttar Pradesh, with the 49 constituencies falling mostly in the state’s badlands.
Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha put the total polling till 1 p.m. at 39 percent. The 10-hour voting began at 7 in the morning.
A total of 15.6 million voters are eligible to pick 49 winners from among 829 candidates, including 87 women.
The main contestants are the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Congress and Samajwadi Party.
Apart from Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav’s bastion Etawah, other places where polling was on include Mainpuri, Firozabad, Etah, Auraiya, Kanpur, Jhansi, Hamirpur, Lalitpur and Jalaun.
This belt is an acid test for Mulayam Yadav.
Also at stake is the prestige of BJP star campaigner Uma Bharti because some of the areas border Madhya Pradesh, where she was a former chief minister.
While Uma Bharti is in the fray from Charkhari in Hamirpur district, Mulayam’s younger brother Shivpal Yadav is contesting from the family bastion, Jaswant Nagar in Etawah.
Heavy police deployment has been made for this phase, which covers a large part of central Uttar Pradesh, better known as the badlands.
- 39 percent turnout in fifth phase of UP poll (Second lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Brisk polling in fifth phase of UP poll (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- UP polls: 59 percent vote in 5th phase (Intro Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- 59.4 percent turnout in 5th phase of UP polls (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Mulayam's prestige at stake in fifth phase of UP poll - Feb 22, 2012
- Voters queue up early in Mulayam bastion - Feb 23, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav's wife to contest Kannauj by-election (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Mulayam heartland celebrates - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP's Uma calculations go wrong - Mar 06, 2012
- SP sends maximum women candidates to UP assembly - Mar 07, 2012
- 24x7 power for Akhilesh, Mulayam's constituencies - Mar 22, 2012
- BSP not to contest against Dimple - Jun 06, 2012
- BJP to field Uma Bharti in UP polls - Jan 19, 2012
- Mulayam pulls up government over Etawah firing - Apr 02, 2012
- Dimple Yadav to launch second political innings Tuesday - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: 6 million, acid test, badlands, bastion, bharti, brother, campaigner, chief electoral officer, chief minister, congress, constituencies, deployment, firozabad, janata party, kanpur, lalitpur, party chief, prestige, stake, yadav