Bringing tradition back in vogue, Sabyasachi Mukherjee shows howDecember 16th, 2008 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 16 (IANS) From exquisite embroideries and prints to contemporary designs, designer Sabysachi Mukherjee’s autumn/winter collection carries forward his trademark of combining Indian traditions with contemporary designs.“The collection is modern yet traditional as the line has exquisite embroideries and prints from India merged with weaves sourced from locales between Kanchipuram and Bhagalpur to Patna and Varanasi,” Mukherjee said at the preview of his collection at Carma boutique in Chanakyapuri here Monday.
“The collection evokes a modern sensibility amidst contemporary global financial chaos,” he added.
This collection includes modern as well as bridal lehngas, short and long kurtas, saris and new silhouettes in vibrant colours.
Since Mukherjee has also started designing for men, the range offers elegant sherwanis, kurtas and saafas in hues of black, brown and rich blue.
The 28-year-old Kolkata-based designer was in town to not only unveil his latest collection but also to understand the client and market changes - an exercise he describes as the “trunk show”.
Elaborating on the concept, he said that it is a pan-India exercise where a designer goes to the respective boutiques and tries to interact with old clients and know his new clientele.
“A designer should always interact with his clients to understand them and know their expectations. This is a very good exercise to understand the market and your clientele,” Mukherjee told IANS.
Mukherjee has also designed for movies like “Black” (2005), for which he received a National Award, and “Laaga Chunri Mein Daag” (2007). He will also design costumes for Mani Ratnam’s upcoming movie that stars Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai.
- Anuradha offers ethnic designs for modern women (With Images) - Jan 01, 2012
- Parna Ghose goes to NY Couture Fashion Week - Sep 06, 2012
- Shabana NGO's women create Anita Dongre's LFW collection - Aug 18, 2011
- Drape that Kanjeevaram, Benarasi this Diwali - Oct 20, 2011
- Designer mixes Persian prints with punk look - Aug 20, 2011
- Designer label Rabani & Rakha pays tribute to beauty (With images) - Mar 21, 2011
- Preeti Ghai's new collection, a fusion of tradition, trends (With Images) - May 15, 2011
- Sabyasachi's work to be exhibited at Sotheby's London - Feb 18, 2012
- Young designers shine at Pakistan fashion week - Mar 30, 2011
- Zubair Kirmani takes designer menswear to Srinagar - May 19, 2012
- Pakistani designers bring makeover for Indian bridal line - Sep 20, 2012
- Tahiliani's Couture Exposition to start July 25 - Jun 28, 2012
- Organic collection in LFW brings alive eco-theme - Aug 22, 2011
- Jimmy Choo to work with Rob Pruitt - Apr 14, 2012
- A collection inspired by Lord Krishna (With Image) - Jun 19, 2011