Bring companies under Lokpal: CPI-MDecember 11th, 2011 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 11 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Sunday said it favoured a strong Lokpal bill that fights corruption not only within the government but also in the private sector.
CPI-M leader Brinda Karat, participating in a public debate on the proposed anti-graft law, said fighting graft in the corporate world was equally important because the private sector was “looting” national wealth and enjoyed freedom.
“We should also focus on corruption in the corporate world. We should not forget the loot by the corporate world,” Karat said.
The debate was organised by social activists led by Anna Hazare, who was on a day-long fast at Jantar Mantar here.
She said licences and contracts given to private companies on the basis of corruption should be cancelled and the Lokpal should have a power to do so.
“The 2G (telecom) licenses have not been cancelled. Land mining contracts in Karnataka have not been cancelled,” Karat pointed out.
She said the recommendations of the parliamentary standing committee on the Lokpal bill were weak and “are equivalent to not having the Lokpal at all”.
“It is a weak Lokpal bill. You are after NGOs but why leave the corporate world out,” she asked.
She said the CPI-M was for the inclusion of the prime minister under the purview of the Lokpal.
- Anna gets Left, right support for strong Lokpal (Roundup) - Dec 11, 2011
- CPI-M to move amendments to Lokpal bill - Dec 26, 2011
- Lokpal bill weak, should cover PM: Karat - Aug 05, 2011
- PM should be included in Lokpal: Brinda Karat - Jul 28, 2011
- Hazare protest not unconstitutional: Brinda Karat - Aug 15, 2011
- Government seeks support on Lokpal, opposition for changes (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Reverse privatisation of minerals: CPI-M - Aug 30, 2012
- Congress attacks Karat on Lokpal bill remark - Jul 03, 2011
- As Anna fasts, parliament divided over Lokpal (Night Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- PM should be covered by Lokpal: CPI-M - Jul 02, 2011
- Anna ends fast, vows more anti-graft crusade - Dec 11, 2011
- BJP wants PM, CBI, lower bureaucracy under Lokpal - Dec 11, 2011
- CPM for inclusion of prime minister in Lokpal purview (Lead) - Dec 15, 2011
- Lok Sabha passes Lokpal bill but no constitutional status (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Don't violate supremacy of constitution: Yechury - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: 2g, anna hazare, anti graft law, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, corruption, CPI, loot, mantar, national wealth, New Delhi, ngos, parliamentary standing committee, prime minister, private companies, private sector, public debate, purview, social activists, telecom licenses