‘Bring back remains of Bahadur Shah Zafar’October 25th, 2008 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 25 (IANS) The mortal remains of India’s last Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar should be brought from Yangon to here, a committee on freedom movement has demanded as it celebrated the freedom fighter’s 233rd birth anniversary. The Freedom Movement Memorial Committee held celebrations in the lush green lawns of the Diwan-e-Khas in the historical Red Fort here Friday with Haryana Governor A.R. Kidwai as chief guest.
Committee chairman Shashi Bhushan said: “Martyr Bahadur Shah Zafar was a symbol of Hindu-Muslim unity during India’s (first) war of independence (in 1857). We appeal to the government that his remains should be brought back to India and a mausoleum should be erected in his memory.”
Kidwai added: “We must bring the remains of our national hero and place them where he desired to be buried.”
National Minority Commission chairman Shafi Qureshi also supported the appeal.
Central minister Ram Vilas Paswan recited excerpts from some of the poems composed by Bahadur Shah Zafar and said he was the harbinger of the war of independence as well as of plural culture which “communal forces want to destroy”.
- Where India's last Mughal emperor lies buried - May 29, 2012
- PM to pay homage to last Mughal emperor - May 27, 2012
- Krishna pays homage at Bahadur Shah Zafar tomb (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Krishna pays homage to Bahadur Shah Zafar - Jun 21, 2011
- Bharat Ratna demanded for Bahadur Shah Zafar - Jun 29, 2011
- Forgetting Ghalib is forgetting history, says writer-diplomat - Dec 25, 2010
- Ghalib's bust installed at Chandni Chowk haveli - Dec 26, 2010
- Mughal emperor's poverty-stricken descendent to get a job - Jul 01, 2009
- Why is Humayun's tomb on Obama's itinerary? - Nov 06, 2010
- Vice President visits Bahadur Shah Zafars mausoleum in Myanmar - Feb 08, 2009
- Krishna opens rice silos in Myanmar for disaster relief - Jun 21, 2011
- Mughal era to Independence - Red Fort stands guard through the ages - Aug 14, 2008
- On death anniversary, Ghalib's haveli languishes in squalor - Feb 15, 2011
- Traffic restrictions for R-day parade rehearsal - Jan 22, 2012
- Pledge to be responsible citizens: TV stars - Aug 15, 2011